House Drums Help

SimonT

Hi!

I have a house track at 124bpm and need assistance on how to progress the drums. The song is structured more like a song, as in it has 2 verses and a chorus of vocals repeated twice throughout the song, with an intro and outro on the beginning and end, and a gap between the chorus and the later verses.

Anyway, the drums kick in straight away after the intro with a crash at the start and then your usual electro house style drum pattern, kick, kick/snare, kick, kick/snare on every quarter note, and a hi-hat roughly halfway between each kick starting after the first kick if you get me. I've tried my best to type it out below over 2 bars:-

Cr
**H***H***H***H***H***H***H***H
****S*******S*******S*******S***
K***K***K***K***K***K***K***K***

Anyway, the crash I've kept in on bars 5, 9, 13, 17 etc. Do you think it's too often? it does sort of sound like it, but also doesn't entirely seem too often or out of place either so I'm not sure. Also, when it gets to the chorus, I was wondering what I could bring in to make the drums stand out more. I was thinking claps? but what pattern would I use?
Also, is there any other hints for making my drum pattern a bit more interesting that anyone could recommend for house.

I have got a template that I'm gonna use (replace) and use some good house samples for the sounds, and it's a subgrouped template with each drum having their own channels for. And again, also, is there any effects or panning tricks people would recommend which could add more flavor.

Thanks!

EDIT:- Does anyone have any recommendations for what I could do with the drums in the last 2 bars before the chorus apart from a snare roll or white noise sweep? as a build up to the chorus? Was contemplating leaving the drums the same and possibly adding a reverse crash.

Last edited:
Well it's a little hard for me to use my head for this and decide if a crash or anything else repeats too often, better to let your own ears, vision, and judgement decide.

By the way, that beat pattern you use is called a "4 on the floor"-beat.
My opinion on your beat as I see it, is that it could be slightly too simple at the moment, sure it depends on the song, but at least it's the impression I get.
Continue working on the beatloop and try out different elements at different rythms, it can really take your track to the next level.
Also listen to a bunch of songs and analyze the beat, and get inspiration.
Also experiment with different timings, and swing.

To add more flavor, just experiment with effects and different processing and see if anything sweetens your sound.
Personally I really like to stack a bunch of samples that complements eachother and create one final massive sound.

Lastly, don't rely too much on others to tell you how to progress with your song at this stage. Just produce it as you like it with all of your touch to it, and then ask for feedback, and correct anything if necessary.

Hi!

I have a house track at 124bpm and need assistance on how to progress the drums. The song is structured more like a song, as in it has 2 verses and a chorus of vocals repeated twice throughout the song, with an intro and outro on the beginning and end, and a gap between the chorus and the later verses.

Anyway, the drums kick in straight away after the intro with a crash at the start and then your usual electro house style drum pattern, kick, kick/snare, kick, kick/snare on every quarter note, and a hi-hat roughly halfway between each kick starting after the first kick if you get me. I've tried my best to type it out below over 2 bars:-

Cr
**H***H***H***H***H***H***H***H
****S*******S*******S*******S***
K***K***K***K***K***K***K***K***

Anyway, the crash I've kept in on bars 5, 9, 13, 17 etc. Do you think it's too often? it does sort of sound like it, but also doesn't entirely seem too often or out of place either so I'm not sure.

every 4 or 8 bars is normal, @ 124bpm I would opt for every 8 bars - I might also put a kick in the tail of the last bar before the crash comes in so that it has some impetus into the crash (on the last 8th or 16th of that bar)

Also, when it gets to the chorus, I was wondering what I could bring in to make the drums stand out more. I was thinking claps? but what pattern would I use?

Beat/instruments1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
crashx
ridexxxxxxx
alternate ride
(drop the hats)
xxxxxxxx
hatsxxxxxxxx
clapsxxxxxxxxxxxx
tambourinexxxxxxxxxxxx
snarexxxx
kickxxxxxxxx

use either the claps or the tambourine but not both (gets way too busy) you could also vary the clap pattern by removing the middle 16th every other occurrence

Also, is there any other hints for making my drum pattern a bit more interesting that anyone could recommend for house.

I have got a template that I'm gonna use (replace) and use some good house samples for the sounds, and it's a subgrouped template with each drum having their own channels for. And again, also, is there any effects or panning tricks people would recommend which could add more flavor.

Thanks!

try panning some elements hard left, hard right or centre

EDIT:- Does anyone have any recommendations for what I could do with the drums in the last 2 bars before the chorus apart from a snare roll or white noise sweep? as a build up to the chorus? Was contemplating leaving the drums the same and possibly adding a reverse crash.

Beat/instruments1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
crashx
hatsxxxxxxxx
floor tomxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
snarexxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kickxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Back