Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiphop / rap chord progressions

InnocentM is offline Member

Hiphop / rap chord progressions

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey. I've just starting writing some beats but I'm finding that most of the time, the only chord progression that fits is Cm, G# then back to Cm again, assuming the song is in Cm.

I guess all songs should be unique but are there any standard rap chord progressions that I'm missing out on? Cheers

vursatyl0601 is offline Universal Soldier
    ima give you a straight answer.

there arent any "hip hop" chord progressions.

Really.

Because hip hop came out of other forms of music, its almost uniquely derivative. Everything that exists in hip hop (for the most part) existed somewhere else.

that said, there are some good funk progressions that have been used a lot, but i dont know them. lol

tell me if im wrong....
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/bffitch0601/pacnwclassix.jpg[/IMG]
    [url]www.myspace.com/ffamilybusiness[/url]

Bezo is offline Registered User
    Originally posted by InnocentM
    Hey. I've just starting writing some beats but I'm finding that most of the time, the only chord progression that fits is Cm, G# then back to Cm again, assuming the song is in Cm.

Hip hop is like most urban music. The progressions are simple. In the key of Cmin, Cmin->Gmin would be a i-v (1-5) progression which is very common. Sticking with Cmin progressions, i-V (c-G7), i-iv (c-f), i-iv-V (c-f-G7), ii-V-i (d-G7-c), i-VI-iv-V (c-Ab-f-G7), and i-VI-ii-V (c-Ab-d-G7) are all pretty common.

Note: The ii chords are diminished (root - minor 3rd - minor 5th).

I guess all songs should be unique but are there any standard rap chord progressions that I'm missing out on? Cheers
    You'd be surprised how similar a lot of songs from the same genre are. Just in diferent keys.

Standard? Well, hip hop took a lot from funk music. Try any of the above. They should sound familiar.
    The Groove baby, the groove...

tungtung is offline Senior Member
    in my opinion,.bump the norm.and put down the tunes as they come to you in the key that they come to you.regardless of the genre peace

Sporence is offline Member
    tungtung couldn't be any more right, a lot of cats out there are starvin because they wanna sound industry, or want the industry sound. There is no such thing as industry. I've seen a track consisting of drums and a bassline and not a hint of chords leads, melodies, progressions or any of that stuff take people to the top, so whatever comes to your head can very well be industry. I'm not a music guru or anything, but the other cat is also right, there is more sampling done today than creative process itself so do yo thing man.

Bezo is offline Registered User
    Originally posted by Sporence
    tungtung couldn't be any more right, a lot of cats out there are starvin because they wanna sound industry, or want the industry sound. There is no such thing as industry. I've seen a track consisting of drums and a bassline and not a hint of chords leads, melodies, progressions or any of that stuff take people to the top, so whatever comes to your head can very well be industry...
    A bassline can form the progression all by itself. Chords are not necessary. Obviously, I don't know what track you're referring to, but if it had vocals, they were the lead. So, this track you're referring to did have at least one, if not more of "that stuff".

I'm not suggesting conforming to anything, but there are certain elements of a song that place it in a genre. So, If you want to make music in a particular genre, it helps to know how to create the sound.

InnocentM didn't ask how to sound like the rest of the industy, he asked about an element of hip hop.
    The Groove baby, the groove...

The Chef is offline Registered User
    im so dumb when it comes to all the chord names

i just know them by where i put my fingers lol

therefore i am useless to this conversation
    www.soundclick.com/firehouse

u already know

Ok Bezo we appreciate your concern for the young man, we were all giving him tips on the same issue. However a big issue with upcoming producers is whether or not they sound like whats hot and new, when they might have it sittin in their studio. You were a little more elaborate with your answer but a tip here and there, whether its dead on or small little pointers helps. You ended your post in a matter of fact type manner. And I'm not a genius at this stuff but I'd just like the young man to know that all hiphop hits are not heavily embedded with chords and progressions and a particular type of anything. It can sometimes depend on the way the artist carry the beat. I'm lettin him know from this end that while it is a very intricate part of any musical genre and not just rap, that he shouldn't get caught up on a certain thing, just to find his nitch, which is a lot more important the f*ckin standard, I'd rather be the best at what I know than blend in with the standard. I apologize for my humble, meager, inputs. Oh yeah dude, nothin is standard any where, you have generic, and creative, you have people that sound like the previous 200 top charters, and people who bring a completely different look. Oh and as per your comment about certain elements
    of a song that place it in a genre, maybe 20 years ago, but not today. You have country singers doin songs with hiphop stars, pop singers rappin, heavy metal and rock heavily integrated with hiphop. THE STANDARD CAN BE WHATEVER OLE BOY PUT OUT TOMMOROW so please dude relax. Take One. And you were as vague as everyone else, I didn't see any notes or chords.

My apologies Bezo you did give some examples, and double my apologies if you were not bein an arrogant, pompous, little prick. I was offering some advice and while not being a direct answer it could've answer a bigger queston and possbly avoided an even bigger problem. You did try to help and I see that, but we're all here to help, and while I don't have 400 plus posts on here, I do know that lil small things tend to be the biggest problems. So try to be a little easier on other peoples post.

The Chef is offline Registered User
    whoa dude dont get emotional here
    www.soundclick.com/firehouse

u already know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information