For Hip Hop, lyrics or beat first and why? Thanks

jmbriley

What order do you think is more productive. I use to write alot of lyrics but I am starting to think if I write to a certain beat then the song would be better.

most people i know write to a beat because sometimes the beat inspires what to write about. personally, i get more inspiration when writting to a beat.

You didnt make it clear which kind/genre of music are you aiming at, anyway for the sake of help if you are concerning with rap anything between lyrics and beat can come first and the other follows and the extra job remain to the emcee to talk rhythmically over the beat, but for the case of RnB and reggae lyrics you should write your lyrics specifically to the beat

you can often fit a beat to lyrics, as long as it is incredibly advanced and can match the flow nicely, but the beat will most likely not be the same things repeated, because it is rare for someone to write a verse with the same flow every line unless it's written to a beat, especially with 2 or 3 verses.. so it would be easier to make the beat first, but i could expect a good track to come from a beat written to lyrics...

it all depends.

check out canibus - rip the jacker...he wrote all the lyrics first..but he was more on some poetric type lyrics instead of that party/gangsta type shyt that usually have completly diff. beats 2 match the diff. lyrics

It ALL depends. It doesn't even matter, because sometimes, you could be in the shower or at the park or in the movies and some HOT lyrics come to you as you've heard them before and you remember them or write them to put them to a beat. Same thing for beats, you have a contagious melody that came from nowhere stuck in your head, then after you produce it, you write some lyrics to accomodate it. Plus, I don't think that everybody sticks to just writing lyrics to silence or to a beat, because like I said it all depends and special sparks of creativity do pop up out of nowhere for everyone.

i write my lyrics first and then make a beat according to the type of song it is. For example if it's really crunk then i make a hot club beat. If it's sad i make a sad beat. I then switch it up a little to flow with the beat.

Back