Hip-hop bass

Wolf-i Beats

Hey guys I have a question concerning bass... I need help on how to add bass that fits to my beats. I am using FL Studio 10, I feel like every time I make a beat, bass seems to be the part I forget about or try to hide. I never really looked into bass while learning how to make beats and still have not got to it. If anyone can give me tips on bass in hip-hop beat or even point me to some good tutorials that would be great! Thank you for your time

from the beat in your sig, I get the idea you could get alot out of a good sub bass or electric bass patch. Just want to add something with a groovey tone over the top of what you have going.

Thanks for the reply, problem I have when I try to add a "groovy tone" is it comes out awkward when I add it. If you can answer this, when does bass usually come in, I mean it can't be running the whole way through, but when does bass usually sound good. Hopefully I am asking this right lol

I'm not the best at explaining procedures, if we were in the same room I could show you in seconds, but will say, based on the beat in your sig, if you listen to stuff like CNN - The War Report, Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes, anything early from outkast, goodie mobb, it will give you some foundation.

You just want to listen to stuff done in the same style as what you're doing and be influenced. It just takes a few notes that ride along with the melody at intricate points, but too much to break down in a post. At least with my knowledge of music termanologies. Someone like Bandcoach could probably come along and give you a typed out lesson that would take you all the way where you're trying to go.

I definitely should get into outkast because I have some friends who always talk about outkast, but I think I get the gist of what you're trying to say because when I listen to hip-hop I do hear bass play well with the main instrument(s)/sample and it brings the beat together. I will try to study more though and attempt to implement what I hear into my beats... appreciate the reply's man!

So, deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup is right, I can write something for you here that will outline what you could do (and thanks for the love man)

Listening to what you have you are using G minor pentatonic (close to the blues scale but missing one note): G-B[sup]b[/sup]-C-D-F-G

Single chord, single form of bass line.

For this type of track, what I would tend to do is emphasise the G and the B[sup]b[/sup] with occasional dalliances down to the F and back to the G:

i.e. G-G-G-F-G-B[sup]b[/sup]-G-F-G etc.......

try it and see

can write something a whole lot more detailed if you like, but this covers the basics of what you could do.

If you had a major chord instead, then you would emphasise it as

G-G-G-F-G-B-G-F-G etc......., i.e. still use the F as a push tone and use the B (3rd of the chord) to anchor the tonality of the chord

Alternative might be G-D-G-D-G-D-G-G-F-G- etc

how long is a piece of string? it is one of those ineffable, unknowable questions :the only answer I can give you that is meaningful is that it lasts as long as you want and when you want

Im no expert by any means but try this set uo 3 new tracks with 3 different bass patches you think fit the song from what I was told most basses just follow the keys of your melody of course you can switch it up now have your root note play sustained through a 4 bar loop see what sounds good by soloing and muting between those 3 tracks

Sometimes it helps to simply copy notes from a different instrument, maybe a lead synth or a piano piece. Then you can chop it up accordingly. Bass is definitely one of the trickier aspects! it needs to glue everything together but it shouldn't take away from the melody. This reminds me of the great Metallica debate, in which fans say that you can't even hear the bass in master of puppets... but the truth is if you took the bass guitar away you would notice instantly, it holds it together without being overbearing.. hard to master for sure.. no pun intended.

Back