Help wit drums

weezywheat

can anyone let me know how to get my drums to sound live like these? i got plenty of wav sounds and they dont sound as good in quality as the other stuff im hearin. let me know

those drumpattern-examples are not that hard to re-create. you just need some good drumkits and practice,practice,practice (patterns, layering etc.)

practice is important if you want to actually replay them, but to program them, it's a little more common sense and skill of course.

velocity to me is one of the most important factors when trying to replicate real drums. a real drummer never ever ever hits a drum set the same, volume wise at least.

also throwing your notes off the quanitize grid helps too. keeps it from sounding sooo robotic.

i say find some drum loops that you like and try to recreate them. and then do it again. and again. and again. until you realize hey this isnt soo hard. then do it again. and again. and one more time. then you'll be some where in the ball park of actually fooling the average listener.

ok the last part isnt entirely true but ive got a friend thats a drummer and a few times he's asked how did you get them (the drums) to sound real.

t

thank yall for the input. i will work on that. it isnt so much the pattern. its the crisp sound of the snare. i have battery 3 and addictive drummer. the snares just dont sound how i want them to in the mix. and it could possibly be the mix i need to work on as well.

yea i can. this is one of the beats i recently did. i havent been doing them long. i have been rapping along time and got tired of using soundclick beats. so i know it needs work.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

yea i can. this is one of the beats i recently did. i havent been doing them long. i have been rapping along time and got tired of using soundclick beats. so i know it needs work.

type in r a p i d s h a r e for the *******

So, I'm hearing at least 2 different snare samples. If they are on the same channel in the mix, then eqing them both into shape will be impossible, as they need different sorts of work.

There is a snare that has a longer decay and one that sounds rather dull.

The longer decay snare needs the tail shut off - use a gate to close off the sample, rather than editing the sample itself. Then eq. boost a little at about 150Hz and also around 1300Hz.

The dull snare just needs the eq, but probably needs more around 1600Hz

also try a little bit of boost around 2.5kHz to 3kHz.

What are using for your production work? Software, extras?

Last edited:
So, I'm hearing at least 2 different snare samples. If they are on the same channel in the mix, then eqing them both into shape will be impossible, as they need different sorts of work.

There is a snare that has a longer decay and one that sounds rather dull.

The longer decay snare needs the tail shut off - use a gate to close off the sample, rather than editing the sample itself. Then eq. boost a little at about 150Hz and also around 1300Hz.

The dull snare just needs the eq, but probably needs more around 1600Hz

also try a little bit of boost around 2.5kHz to 3kHz.

What are using for your production work? Software, extras?

im using a kx61 yamaha keyboard, fl9 and using reason sounds by rewiring. i have better drums then the ones i used in the beat. i have addictive drums and battery 3. these were wav sounds from various kits i got online. i havent really ben serious about production too long. i have been rappin for about 8 years and i gathered all these plug ins and vsts to try molding a in house producer. but things fell off with that so know im trying to do it myself. i found out i really love making beats thru the attempt but havent really seen much improvement since i started.
i know the process takes alot of time though to develop. but thanks for all your input. imma fix them drums up/

Get on your sample game for drums. I find that stock drums sounds from keyboards/drum machines/synths etc, never sound as real as samples straight from records/cd's, no matter how much you process them. Even though they are real drum samples too, from real drummers, I think they are over-processed by the sound designers usually, and are too clean. Real drums don't sound that clean naturally. So get some records or cd's of some drum breaks, if you dont want to spend a fortune digging, and sample and chop the sounds you like the best. Maybe tune and EQ them a little, if necessary, and you'll have real sounding drums. Do some research and chopping though, as that can be an art itself and require some practice and know how to really get them sounding right. Just search Sampling or Chopping Drums and you'll find lots of tutorials online.

btw, dont sample mp3's, if you want best quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't listen to your track but lately I've realized how important good samples are. I've gone from layer 2, 3, even 4 kicks or snares to using 1 kick, 1 snare by upgrading my samples.

Get on your sample game for drums. I find that stock drums sounds from keyboards/drum machines/synths etc, never sound as real as samples straight from records/cd's, no matter how much you process them. Even though they are real drum samples too, from real drummers, I think they are over-processed by the sound designers usually, and are too clean. Real drums don't sound that clean naturally. So get some records or cd's of some drum breaks, if you dont want to spend a fortune digging, and sample and chop the sounds you like the best. Maybe tune and EQ them a little, if necessary, and you'll have real sounding drums. Do some research and chopping though, as that can be an art itself and require some practice and know how to really get them sounding right. Just search Sampling or Chopping Drums and you'll find lots of tutorials online.

btw, dont sample mp3's, if you want best quality.

that really is a good point. i have a few records, im going to get a usb turntable and work on that. its something ive always wanted to get into. not just for snares either. u benefit in plenty ways from sampling. thanks for the advice

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

I didn't listen to your track but lately I've realized how important good samples are. I've gone from layer 2, 3, even 4 kicks or snares to using 1 kick, 1 snare by upgrading my samples.

yea that would be nice to have crisp one shot snares and kicks. ive always thought layering and eq'in was the way to go. appreciate that

Im not allowed to post links, but find this video on youtube - BOON DOC: Drum Programming Tips (To Quantize Or Not To Quantize) PART ONE

Should help.

Back