Help! When, Where & Why To Use Scales and or Chords Please Help Me Understand

Lakwaun

Just wondering, I am new to the chords and scales. But I make hip hop & rap beats but am learning R&B.
I use scale sections in making melodies for my instrumentals. Like using a A harmonic scale= A, B, B#/C, D,E,F,A#, I stay within these keys to make a plucked melody and it works great.

But if I use all notes at the same time that is called a chord correct? Or wrong is it still a scale?
Is it common use to use all keys within a scale at the same time to make a tone or am I or do I suppose to be using 2, 3 or only 4 of the certain keys within the scale to create my tone?
When I use all keys within a scale together it just doesn't sound like a good tonal value to me.

When or what is a good practice to using scales and or chords? I know how to play the piano a little bit and understand the basics but just need a little guidance sort of speak.

Chords are constructed using the 1,3,5, and 7 of particular scale (can be more, but this is the basics). So for example take the C major scale, C D E F G A B C. To construct a C major 7 chord you take the first, third, fifth, and seventh note. So the notes of the chord are: C E G B. In popular music, the 7th is commonly ignored and it is just a C Major triad, meaning it only has 3 notes, the 1,3, and 5. I think you should get a book on music theory and continue learning piano. Through this you will be able to construct and understand chord progressions and their accompanying melodies.

A scale is a certain collection of notes.

A chord is made up of multiple notes.

If you pick the right scale to use for a certain chord, it will sound good.

I wouldn't worry about scales too much - just learn a few songs that you like currently and focus on having fun!

Back