Help! Trying to create drums/snare!

blaker10

Hello,

I have a question that has been bothering me for awhile now! I am new to making music, however I have spent the last couple weeks trying all kinds of things to get the effect I'm looking for. The best example of it I can point you to is in ScHoolboy Q's new song "Studio" at about the 2:20 mark the drums and snare change to what sounds to me like a kind of filter over them. However the kick still knocks so well even with the effect on it. I don't have a clue how it was done or even what they did to them it'd be great if you guys could fill me in! I'm too new to be allowed to post links or I would link you to the song.

How can I re-create that kind of effect on my kicks and snares?

This is my first post to this forum, and so I'm looking forward to getting the communities' help with this!

Thanks!
-Blake

Haha well as I'm new to this I don't have too much to say about myself. I love music and am trying to learn more about it, as I'm learning to make it myself!

Last edited:
What you're looking for is a low pass filter. At that point in the song, to me. It sounds like he used a low pass filter which completely cuts off all the high frequencies. If you have already used a low pass filter, and still trying to achieve this sound, but your kick and snare don't sound like they're hitting hard enough, I'd suggest using automation clips that turn on a compressor and possibly some type of distortion to make them louder, and hit harder, while still being low-passed, then while the low-passed part is done, just turn off those effects. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back