Help me do Hip Hop Drums ?

JonnyEstrondo

Can somebody help me to get better at doing drums? I can do Trap drums with the metalized hi-hats, but every time i get a cool melody for a Joey Badass/OFWG/Logic type beat, the drums are always pretty bad, the hats get boring and i feel that i don't have any good sounds to do the drums (snares, closed hats and open hats)
For example, i can't do drums like this
can somebody help me to get the cool sounds and teach me some tricks to make it sound good? (EQ nad changing the velocity of hats)
Another example of the sound im trying to get:
Thanks

Give us some examples of drum patterns you have made to a beat and we might be able to help. Also do you program your drums or play them live?

Sounds like your just not choosing the most suitable sounds for this style. Maybe go and download some boombap type drum kits.
In that track though the only problem is the snare, the actual pattern is good and as a whole though there is nothing wrong with it but it just doesn't sound quite like what you are going for. I couldn't really tell if you have from that example but give your drums some swing to replicate live drumming. If you use FL studio, there is a swing bar thing in the step sequencer which usually does a pretty reasonable job.
Check out this tutorial about adding swing to your drums.

Also changing up the velocities of each drum hit also helps a lot, usually with the hi hats if I program them in I will make every second hit louder than the previous one but have them all at randomised volumes if that makes sense. Same with snares. Kicks are a little bit different and I would suggest you just experiment with making certain hits louder than others until it sounds right.
The bottom line though is just to kept practicing, just make heaps and heaps of drum loops and I guarantee you will get a grasp of it.

For a huge library of vintage drum machine samples, google dnbforum pull up sample pack.

The drum machine samples in there (there are hundreds of them!) are very useful for hip hop, you will definitely find some nice snares+ hats in there.

A lot has to do with choosing the right drum samples. The standard trap snares and 808 kicks and fast attack hats have become so overused people are looking down on the rest. Try picking something that you normally wouldn't, make your drums sound more dynamic by playing around with velocity. Also you don't have to be completely technical and have your kicks and snares and hats all lined up perfectly you can play around and try to go offbeat a little, makes it sound more natural. And just like you just posted those 2 videos why don't you try and mimic the same drums, you can practice that way.

Forget what everyone said. What you need to do is stop quantizing and play the feel by drum machine/midi keyboard OR draw/move milisecs by hand.. This is boombap type beats that has swing to the groove, not like trap beats where you can get away with doing triplets instead. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back