Help With Making Melodies! What Do Ya'll Do To Make Yours

K

King of Kings

I just research to see how everybody make theirs and get some perspective to learn and be efficient at making catchy ones that catch attention.

one way is to just jam, pick a key and jam on it record it and take what I like and throw away what I dont like. Or if you have a chord proggression the key is picked for you and jam on that.

Jam using the guitar synth so it triggers midi so I can then play the synths with the guitar.

Go for a walk wait for a melody to pop in my head, hum it then put it down.

theres a few ways i make mine...

For trance style melodies in FL i lay down a simple pattern, i tend to use quite a few flats and sharps as they make the melody more dynamic, then i thicken it up with a few lower notes, possibly 16ths an octave lower maybe, as notes all played the same length can be boring

I work my chords out on my keyboard for pads an things, sticking to the pattern of the original melody with a few variations here and there, unfortunately i havent got a MIDI interface so i have to jot them down lol :(

i spend ages on my melodies looping sections over and over getting them the way i want them

After I lay down drums, bass and any other rhythm parts, I sit back and hum something until I come up with something funky. Then I go to the guitar or synth and play it.

Jamming works for me as well, but I get better & quicker results hearing things in my head first.

the way i do it:
i love playing keyboard!
i love to play a good sounding piano
emulation over my keyboard.
i do it allmost everyday.
i allways freestyle.
when im freestyling i stumble over exquisit melodies, very often.
i save these melodies.
since they were played in the mid piano keyrange they are the main carrier of the following song.
i add a bassline to underline the melodie,
maybe a pad aswell, some fx, maybe very high tonal sequencer melodies to
pull the mainmelo in the sky,some variations, one break- boom
then ive got a 4 minute track but i would never say its finished...
this way i got over 500songs with exquisit melodies but ive never finished a single one.
the process of taking a leading melodie and arrange it with bass and pad maybe taking 10-15 minutes but it can take 1-2 hours to just find the right synth sound for the lead. these thing that come out of these 10-15 minute jobs (from which i got around 500) i wouldnt call songs or tracks. rather models.
it can take days to make a song out of a single one.
some of the most professional musicians sometimes took years(jes years)
to develop a single song.
sometimes its more complicated.
try listening to classic music from
chopin mozart and grieg (especialy griek) and rachmaninof...
this is musical education that will never be out of date...

Probably the best advice I can give is to know your scales.. Well technically I should say know at least the scale for the key your song is in. Once you know all the sweet notes all you have to do is run 'em together.

Another thing that comes to mind is that melodies always (not a rule but a guideline) should always come back 'home'. That is to say resolve back to the root note for the key/scale.

look into books- for me, Complete Idiots Guide to Music theory did a really god job at showing me the ropes: especially learn chord leading.

additionally, consider thinking of songs that have similar moods to what you want to create. figure out their chord progressions and voicings...and figure out what fits your idea and what doesnt.

-Lodger

Yeah the book Lodger mentioned is highly recommended from myself as well. It's a great resource and it explains things in a way that is easy to understand for the novice like me.

Knowing scales is the key to making melodies, You can take a scale and shifit patterns with it how ever you want, as long as you are using notes from the scale, it will sound good.

i use my keyboard for that, i'm a very bad keyboardplayer, but i jam something of beat til i got a melody that is good for the beat i got, record the bad play, and correct it with my mouse in my sequencer (cubase).

but you have to know something about notes, scales and harmonies for that, a musical ear can also do that btw

i have both ;-)

honestly, i don't think music theory knowledge makes any difference when it comes to making simple pop/rap melodies. some people can jsut come up with hot melodies in their heads and other stumble across them while fiddling on the keys (like i do).

where I think the music theory comes in handy is in the rest of the instrumentation that supports the main melody. take scott storch for example....he'll always have these really simple melodies that require no real technical knowledge to come up with...but then in the back he'll have these strings creating these rich harmonies that really bring the best out of the melody. it's those subtleties that make a track

-dan

Even Scott said that a basic knowledge of music theory is good..I still don't have any..lol..I'm workin' on it..and I'm gonna learn how to play piano/keyboard

first of all i think you have to feel out your instrument a little check out what ure feelin, just freestyle something. some people work different but personally i like to workout a melody or a bassline first before i lay the drums down.. i find it a lot easier to make drums that go with the bassline and melody than vice versa, but to each their own of course.

but to write a melody i just find a sound im feelin and then just mess around till ive got something i can work with. i think knowing how to play the keys helps alot with this, but just knowing how to play them isnt gona make hot melodies, its all in you.

but theory and music knowledge is a serious benefit to take ure stuff further.

Big Mark said:
It may sound funny but I whistle... It works for me...

same here i hear tracks in my head all day long. I normally lay down some nice chords and once i have that going ill work with on adding melodies over it.

peace

first of all remember that less is sometimes more.

I've had success buy playing melodies around a chord shape normally a major or minor seventh, so i place my right hand over the four notes of the chord and start jamming with that, then introduce one or two lower notes with the left hand, usually just a tone or so down.

Back