Help creating notes across the spectrum

cherrytwist

I am trying to create the effect of different notes of the same synth patch having their own space in the frequency spectrum. So when a melody is played it feels almost like the different notes are stabbing in at different heights in the spectrum. But all of my synth patches blend together and I cannot achieve a noticeable amount of space between notes that are close together.

If you don't understand what I am asking at all I can dig through my CD's and try to find an example as I know I have heard it before. Thanks in advance.

cherrytwist said:
having their own space in the frequency spectrum

maybe you mean the soundfield/panning or eq? a (a440) c4 is 277.18Hz regardless, change Hz means changing pitch

Yeah I guess I wasn't really specific.

I know how different notes have different fundamental frequencies and my question is refering to eqing of some sort.

What I am trying to achieve is a clear and distinct space between notes that are close together (same octave).

The problem is is that an octave around the middle of the keyboard (somewhere around middle C) doesn't have that great of a frequency span (usually only a couple of hundred hz per octave) and a melody played tends to blend together frequency wise.

But I have heard examples of melodies that have stayed within a single octave and have had such a distinct difference between the notes so that they have thier own specific place in the frequency spectrum without sounding too thin. Orbital has a few examples of this especially on "Middle of Nowhere."

Thanks for the help in advance.

Back