Help with chord numbers

kukura

I am confused by which chord numbers to put in for these 2 songs so I can analyze what is going on in the harmony better. Also any break down or help on what is going in the progressions would be much appreciated.
Butterflies/ Michael Jackson key in Ab
Intro: Abmaj7 Abm7 Db9 Emaj7 A7b5 Abmaj7
Verse and Chorus: Abmaj7 Dbm7 Db9 Emaj7 A7b5 Abmaj7
Bridge: Emaj7 Cm9 Emaj7 Cm9 Abm7 A7b5

Sing about me Kendrick Lamar key I cant figure out but I would assume its in A major
AM9 Eb9 db-7 Bb-7 Eb+ BM7 db6/9 Ab-7 Gb6

I am confused by which chord numbers to put in for these 2 songs so I can analyze what is going on in the harmony better. Also any break down or help on what is going in the progressions would be much appreciated.
Butterflies/ Michael Jackson key in Ab
Intro: Abmaj7 Abm7 Db9 Emaj7 A7b5 Abmaj7
Verse and Chorus: Abmaj7 Dbm7 Db9 Emaj7 A7b5 Abmaj7
Bridge: Emaj7 Cm9 Emaj7 Cm9 Abm7 A7b5
introI[sup]maj7[/sup]i[sup]7[/sup]IV[sup]dom9[/sup]V[sup]maj7[/sup]-of-TTS-of-VTTS[sup]dom7b5[/sup]-of-VI[sup]maj7[/sup]
Verse and ChorusI[sup]maj7[/sup]iv[sup]7[/sup]IV[sup]dom9[/sup]V[sup]maj7[/sup]-of-TTS-of-VTTS[sup]dom7b5[/sup]-of-VI[sup]maj7[/sup]
BridgeV[sup]maj7[/sup]-of-TTS-of-Viii[sup]9[/sup]V[sup]maj7[/sup]-of-TTS-of-Viii[sup]9[/sup]i[sup]7[/sup]TTS[sup]dom7b5[/sup]-of-V
TTS = TriTone Substitute
i.e. TTS-of-V = means the chord that is a tritone (6 semitones) away from chord V.
In A[sup]b[/sup], E[sup]b[/sup] is chord V and the tritone away is B[sup]bb[/sup] or A.
replacing the tritone substitutes with the original chords we get......
introI[sup]maj7[/sup]i[sup]7[/sup]IV[sup]dom9[/sup]V[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-VV[SUP]7[/SUP]I[sup]maj7[/sup]
introA[sup]bmaj7[/sup]i[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]D[sup]bdom9[/sup]B[SUP]b7[/SUP]E[SUP]b7[/SUP]A[sup]bmaj7[/sup]
Verse and ChorusI[sup]maj7[/sup]iv[sup]7[/sup]IV[sup]dom9[/sup]V[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-VV[SUP]7[/SUP]I[sup]maj7[/sup]
Verse and ChorusA[sup]bmaj7[/sup]D[SUP]b[/SUP]m[sup]7[/sup]D[sup]bdom9[/sup]B[SUP]b7[/SUP]E[SUP]b7[/SUP]A[sup]bmaj7[/sup]
BridgeV[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-Viii[sup]9[/sup]V[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-Viii[sup]9[/sup]i[sup]7[/sup]V[SUP]7[/SUP]
BridgeB[SUP]b[/SUP]Cm[sup]9[/sup]B[SUP]b[/SUP]Cm[sup]9[/sup]A[SUP]b[/SUP]m[sup]7[/sup]E[SUP]b[/SUP]
The chord A[sup]7b5[/sup] is spelt A-C[sup]#[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-G, i.e. the only non scale tone is the root of the chord as C[sup]#[/sup]=D[sup]b[/sup] and E[sup]b[/sup] and G are part of the home scale
E[SUP]b7[/SUP] is spelt E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-D[SUP]b[/SUP] which is close to A[SUP]7b5[/SUP] - lower the B[SUP]b[/SUP]
B[SUP]b7[/SUP] is spelt B[SUP]b[/SUP]-D-F-A[SUP]b[/SUP] which is very close to E[SUP]maj7[/SUP]: E-G[SUP]#[/SUP]-B-D - raise the B[SUP]b[/SUP] and lower the F and vice versa

Sing about me Kendrick Lamar key I cant figure out but I would assume its in A major
AM9 Eb9 db-7 Bb-7 Eb+ BM7 db6/9 Ab-7 Gb6

I[sup]maj9[/sup][sup]b[/sup]V[sup]dom9[/sup]iii[sup]7[/sup][sup]b[/sup]ii[sup]7[/sup][sup]b[/sup]V[sup]#5[/sup]II[sup]maj7[/sup]III[sup]6/9[/sup]vii[sup]7[/sup]VI[sup]6[/sup]
I have recast the chord spellings as
A[sup]maj9[/sup]E[sup]b9[/sup]C[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]B[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]E[sup]b(#5)[/sup]B[sup]maj7[/sup]C[sup]#6/9[/sup]G[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup]F[sup]#6[/sup]
[sup]b[/sup]V is the tritone substitution for chord I, so the first two chords are simply different versions of the same chord one with a tonic function the other with a dominant function.
iii[sup]7[/sup] is an elisive substitute for chord I, so we continue with the vacillation between tonic and dominant function.
[sup]b[/sup]ii[sup]7[/sup] is a substitute for chord V
I[SUP]maj9[/SUP]I[SUP]dom9[/SUP]I[SUP]maj9[/SUP]V[SUP]dom7[/SUP]I[SUP]dom#5[/SUP]
A[SUP]maj9[/SUP]A[SUP]dom9[/SUP]A[SUP]maj9[/SUP]E[SUP]dom7[/SUP]A[SUP]dom#5[/SUP]
the next four chords signal a potential shift in tonality from A to B and could be interpreted as
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]II[SUP]6/9[/SUP]vi[SUP]7[/SUP]V[SUP]6[/SUP]
B[SUP]maj7[/SUP]C[SUP]#6/9[/SUP]G[SUP]#[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]F[SUP]#6[/SUP]
[ [

chords of the 6th are in essence minor 7ths in inversion

so C#6/9 could also be A#m11, and F#6 could also be D#m7

However, it is more likely that the dominant function of each chord is the intended use and so these should be interpreted as written.....

Last edited:
intro
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
i[SUP]7[/SUP]
IV[SUP]dom9[/SUP]
V[SUP]maj7[/SUP]-of-TTS-of-V
TTS[SUP]dom7b5[/SUP]-of-V
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
Verse and Chorus
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
iv[SUP]7[/SUP]
IV[SUP]dom9[/SUP]
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
Bridge
iii[SUP]9[/SUP]
iii[SUP]9[/SUP]
i[SUP]7[/SUP]
TTS = TriTone Substitute
i.e. TTS-of-V = means the chord that is a tritone (6 semitones) away from chord V.
In A[SUP]b[/SUP], E[SUP]b[/SUP] is chord V and the tritone away is B[SUP]bb[/SUP] or A.
replacing the tritone substitutes with the original chords we get......
intro
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
i[SUP]7[/SUP]
IV[SUP]dom9[/SUP]
V[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-V
V[SUP]7[/SUP]
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
intro
A[SUP]bmaj7[/SUP]
i[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
D[SUP]bdom9[/SUP]
B[SUP]b7[/SUP]
E[SUP]b7[/SUP]
A[SUP]bmaj7[/SUP]
Verse and Chorus
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
iv[SUP]7[/SUP]
IV[SUP]dom9[/SUP]
V[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-V
V[SUP]7[/SUP]
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
Verse and Chorus
A[SUP]bmaj7[/SUP]
D[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
D[SUP]bdom9[/SUP]
B[SUP]b7[/SUP]
E[SUP]b7[/SUP]
A[SUP]bmaj7[/SUP]
Bridge
V[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-V
iii[SUP]9[/SUP]
V[SUP]7[/SUP]-of-V
iii[SUP]9[/SUP]
i[SUP]7[/SUP]
V[SUP]7[/SUP]
Bridge
B[SUP]b[/SUP]
Cm[SUP]9[/SUP]
B[SUP]b[/SUP]
Cm[SUP]9[/SUP]
A[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
E[SUP]b[/SUP]
The chord A[SUP]7b5[/SUP] is spelt A-C[SUP]#[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G, i.e. the only non scale tone is the root of the chord as C[SUP]#[/SUP]=D[SUP]b[/SUP] and E[SUP]b[/SUP] and G are part of the home scale
E[SUP]b7[/SUP] is spelt E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-D[SUP]b[/SUP] which is close to A[SUP]7b5[/SUP] - lower the B[SUP]b[/SUP]
B[SUP]b7[/SUP] is spelt B[SUP]b[/SUP]-D-F-A[SUP]b[/SUP] which is very close to E[SUP]maj7[/SUP]: E-G[SUP]#[/SUP]-B-D - raise the B[SUP]b[/SUP] and lower the F and vice versa

I[SUP]maj9[/SUP]
[SUP]b[/SUP]V[SUP]dom9[/SUP]
iii[SUP]7[/SUP]
[SUP]b[/SUP]ii[SUP]7[/SUP]
[SUP]b[/SUP]V[SUP]#5[/SUP]
II[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
III[SUP]6/9[/SUP]
vii[SUP]7[/SUP]
VI[SUP]6[/SUP]
I have recast the chord spellings as
A[SUP]maj9[/SUP]
E[SUP]b9[/SUP]
C[SUP]#[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
B[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
E[SUP]b(#5)[/SUP]
B[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
C[SUP]#6/9[/SUP]
G[SUP]#[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
F[SUP]#6[/SUP]
[SUP]b[/SUP]V is the tritone substitution for chord I, so the first two chords are simply different versions of the same chord one with a tonic function the other with a dominant function.
iii[SUP]7[/SUP] is an elisive substitute for chord I, so we continue with the vacillation between tonic and dominant function.
[SUP]b[/SUP]ii[SUP]7[/SUP] is a substitute for chord V
I[SUP]maj9[/SUP]
I[SUP]dom9[/SUP]
I[SUP]maj9[/SUP]
V[SUP]dom7[/SUP]
I[SUP]dom#5[/SUP]
A[SUP]maj9[/SUP]
A[SUP]dom9[/SUP]
A[SUP]maj9[/SUP]
E[SUP]dom7[/SUP]
A[SUP]dom#5[/SUP]
the next four chords signal a potential shift in tonality from A to B and could be interpreted as
I[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
II[SUP]6/9[/SUP]
vi[SUP]7[/SUP]
V[SUP]6[/SUP]
B[SUP]maj7[/SUP]
C[SUP]#6/9[/SUP]
G[SUP]#[/SUP]m[SUP]7[/SUP]
F[SUP]#6[/SUP]

chords of the 6th are in essence minor 7ths in inversion

so C#6/9 could also be A#m11, and F#6 could also be D#m7

However, it is more likely that the dominant function of each chord is the intended use and so these should be interpreted as written.....

Thanks A lot Imma study this I feel like I could learn a lot with this information

Back