Has anyone ever tried PerfectPitch.com for Ear Training?

JC Biffro

edit - my bad, there's a similar thread below this one. https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ative-pitch-vs-perfect-pitch-training-450744/

Sup,

So, I want to stop relying on plugins like Melodyne and begin my ear training journey. I'm still in the very early stages, and can pretty accurately tell whether a subsequent note is higher or lower than the last, but that's about it. I can't tell a C note from a F note as an example.

I can across this Website Perfect Pitch Ear Training SuperCourse: Name EXACT Notes by Ear. that offers a course. I read the monologue-like backstory of the tutor and it seems...err... genuine I guess. :alcoholic:

Has anyone ever tried this, or am I potentially just falling victim to a scam, and throwing my cash away? :finger:

Appreciate the advance, ta

Last edited:
1) I did the test on the first page and got all 5 right (seriously no cheating) - which only goes to bolster my claim in the other thread that this skill arrives by itself through relative pitch training and instrument playing over time

2) this is the David Burge site mentioned in the other thread you reference

3) I have not used nor interacted with anyone who has used this course to improve their skills so do not have any first hand or 2nd hand knowledge of whether it works or not.

As to whether it can work, it is an interesting set of claims based on a premise that may or may not be faulty: that each note has it's own unique sound.

When we break this down into 12 pitch classes (A-G#/Ab) there is some truth.

But do these tests with sine waves only and I would suggest that the evidence does not appear.

The course has always been targeted at using a piano as the vehicle - now unless the piano is tuned so that every note in every octave is based off the same frequency these assertions do not follow, for the following basic reason:

To make pianos sound more in tune at the extremes, most piano tuners will apply what is know as stretch tuning[sup][1], [2][/sup], making the lower notes fundamental frequency slightly lower and the higher notes fundamental frequencies slightly higher - this makes aligning different octaves of the same pitch difficult to do and actually puts the kibosh on the each note has it's own unique "colour" assertions.

4) On a more firm note: many professors of music theory and aural training insist that their students carry an A 440Hz tuning fork with them and use it at every opportunity to become acclimated to the note so that they can reproduce it at will later in the semester. Just about every scientific study of the performance of students subjected to this regimen comes to the same conclusion:

It takes about 6 months to acquire the ability to sing an A (whether 440 or 220 (male/female differences)). The first few months individual efforts are hit and miss, but as they put in the effort and practice the skill, they become more accurate to the point where all participants are singing within +/-5 cents of true pitch.

my own ear training prof did this to us in 1985 - though many resisted - my cohort was an interesting mix of people, many of whom did not see that they could or should do something that was this "silly" (their words), as a result there were maybe 6 of us out of a class of 25 who followed through and became proficient at doing this (singing an A without external reference). Once you can sing an A, singing a B[sup]b[/sup], as required at the David Burge site, is relatively easy if you understand how to pitch up by a semitone. Same was true for identifying everything else - recognise the pitch and then the tonality and then identify it with reference to my internal A

Put simply - there are cheaper alternatives but not many that are probably as field tested and graduated as the Burge course.

Try teoria.com and use their ear training exercises - it's free

Last edited:
I'm rather skeptical. I've never known anyone to 'develop' perfect pitch. I believe you can get close to having it, but not truly get it. Real perfect pitch, IMO, is being able to pull a pitch out of the air - not to identify it upon hearing it. But that may not be the book definition.

The previous reply indicated there were many in a class who could develop the ability to sing an A give or take 5 cents after 6 months practice. Interesting - I know a lot of great musicians who would like to be able to do that upon command. Maybe it's an age thing - the younger the learner, the greater the possibility. Many have theorized that all infants are born with perfect pitch, but lose it shortly after birth because it isn't 'cutlivated."

not an age thing - average of my cohort was 35 - I was a young one at 23

the point of being able to sing an A on command is that with consistent practice and internalising of the note A 440Hz in its purist form - a sine wave or near enough to when using a pitch fork, anyone can do it - it just takes dedication and focused learning - not everyone wants to put in the hard yards.

As for youngsters losing the skill/ability of perfect pitch - it is supposition on the part of early childhood workers and researchers not based in fact - the only way to accept or reject such a claim would be to conduct an unconscionable experiment in which half the subjects were denied the right to develop the skill whereas the other half were force fed on the same diet of here is a note tell me what it is after an initial period of simply presenting the note and its name regularly (half-hourly/hourly/twice a-day/whatever)

Last edited:
Even if you have perfect pitch it's not like you can instinctively say "oh that's a C and it corresponds to this piano key here" and by that I mean you actually have to make an effort to remember that shit whereas remembering the actual pitches by themselves requires very little effort at all when you have perfect pitch, so you would have to be careful that you are not inadvertently testing the wrong kind of memory when conducting any experiment.

my thought exactly:

The whole premise of perfect pitch is the ability to cite name and octave and I know people (I do not include myself in this as I do not practice this as often as I should) who not only can name note and octave but also tell you how far off from the actual frequency the note is - famous anecdote from my time out in Alice Springs is of a brother teaching his sister to drive and instructing her on when to change to gears "hear how the engine is sounding a G below middle C? A little above that (0 I believe it was actually said 5 cents above that) and you need to change gear....."

Because a pitch doesn't actually have a name even though we attribute a name to it.....so I can't identify the pitch by name unless I also remember what name goes with the pitch....same thing with piano keys.

What makes you think others cannot?
Because you can't?

you're being trolled - don't rise to the bait - he seems to be a bit off lately - attacking stuff for the sake of attacking stuff and then coming back and refuting his own attacks a few posts later.....

my thought exactly:

The whole premise of perfect pitch is the ability to cite name and octave and I know people (I do not include myself in this as I do not practice this as often as I should) who not only can name note and octave but also tell you how far off from the actual frequency the note is - famous anecdote from my time out in Alice Springs is of a brother teaching his sister to drive and instructing her on when to change to gears "hear how the engine is sounding a G below middle C? A little above that (0 I believe it was actually said 5 cents above that) and you need to change gear....."

So if he didn't know the name of the notes would that mean he wouldn't know when to change gears based on the pitch?.....I think not.

What makes you think others cannot?
Because you can't?

Was the world black and white before you knew the name of all the colors?

Even with perfect pitch you still need to learn note names and key positions because these things are not naturally associated with pitch, they are man made attributes.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

you're being trolled - don't rise to the bait - he seems to be a bit off lately - attacking stuff for the sake of attacking stuff and then coming back and refuting his own attacks a few posts later.....

Don't call me a troll just because you assumed that everyone marches to the beat of the NSW education system you jackass.

Back