Getting Started With Music Theory and The Almighty Keyboard

• Thread starter (Name To Be Changed)
  • Start date

Whatcha think of my decisions?

• Better than moot's decision of making le kingdom of the chans. (Good)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worse than JB's decision of getting born. (Bad)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh. (Meh)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
N

(Name To Be Changed)

(I'm not sure if I should've posted this in the "Getting Started" forum or this, but this sounds more logical and stuff. So, I went with this)

Title says it all. I wanna start learning music theory because I'd like to, and I would also like to learn how to play a keyboard along the way (Duh). I know absolutely nothing about music theory (Except what a full note is, what a half note is, what a fourth note is, and how a note gets cut into half with those lil' marks at the top), and know how to play one song on the keyboard. The deal here is, does anyone know a book or two that can teach me music theory FROM THE ABSOLUTE ZERO. I want something that I will be able to carry with me offline, a book, a PC/iPad app, or even a couple of dozens of videos that I can download would be lovely. Same thing for the keyboard, any book recommendations or whatsoever that can get me started FROM THE ZERO? Last but not least, any tips for my long journey in the seas of music theory and journey of becoming keyboardist and embracing the keyboard? Last note is that I will be borrowing a keyboard for a month or more (Depending on how much it takes me to learn how to walk on a keyboard), and afterwards I will be getting my own keyboard MIDI controller because why not, is it okay if I borrowed a meh or pretty shit keyboard just to begin with? Why? Why not?

1. Get a Piano instructor. As a beginner, you will need to see them perhaps once a week, twice a week at best. Having the presence and wisdom of someone more experienced guiding your progress in person is something no video or book can give you, trust me.

2. Get a copy of Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Level 1. This was the required text for Classical Piano I when I took it in college. This will get you started learning to play and reading music.

3. Find a copy of the circle of 5ths online, print it out, and memorize that b***h until you can recite it cold.

4. Go to musictheory.net and get started on the lessons-STAT. They also have a practice app called Tenuto for training on-the-go. Very necessary, trust me. (I am not affiliated with the aformentioned website in any way)

5. Ask LOTS of questions (Bandcoach is the Don of theory around these parts, also check out his site). Remember-there are no dumb questions, just dumbasses that don't listen.

6. Get a Piano instructor.

7. Get a feel for the type of style(s) you want to play and what you hope to accomplish by learning all this. Do you want to be a virtuoso performer, a composer, both?

8. Understand that Rome was not built in a day (that was Utah). To get "good" takes practice, patience, and time....and you will need ALOT of all three.

9. Any keyboard with 49 keys or more is fine. I would not worry about weighted action unless you intend to be a virtuoso.

Last edited:
1. Get a Piano instructor. As a beginner, you will need to see them perhaps once a week, twice a week at best. Having the presence and wisdom of someone more experienced guiding your progress in person is something no video or book can give you, trust me.

2. Get a copy of Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Level 1. This was the required text for Classical Piano I when I took it in college. This will get you started learning to play and reading music.

3. Find a copy of the circle of 5ths online, print it out, and memorize that b***h until you can recite it cold.

4. Go to musictheory.net and get started on the lessons-STAT. They also have a practice app called Tenuto for training on-the-go. Very necessary, trust me. (I am not affiliated with the aformentioned website in any way)

5. Ask LOTS of questions (Bandcoach is the Don of theory around these parts, also check out his sote). Remember-there are no dumb questions, just dumbasses that don't listen.

6. Get a Piano instructor.

7. Get a feel for the type of style(s) you want to play and what you hope to accomplish by learning all this. Do you want to be a virtuoso performer, a composer, both?

8. Understand that Rome was not built in a day (that was Utah). To get "good" takes practice, patience, and time....and you will need ALOT of all three.

9. Any keyboard with 49 keys or more is fine. I would not worry about weighted action unless you intend to be a virtuoso.

1- That won't be possible as I would be travelling for a whole month, and I don't prefer such a thing. I will stuck with books and such.

2-I'll get myself that book for sure. I noticed there's a second and third level. Might get them, too.

3-Well, sure. I will print that out (Even though I can barely get it. Oh, well, I'll learn)

4-Sure. But do you know where I can get the PC version of the lessons (Like the ones on the site) without having to go on the site; an offline version of the site (Or a PC app of the site) for the PC?

5-Gonna be offline. But will note any questions I have in case I got the chance to see the light of the internet.

6-Same as the first question.

7-Both, pretty much. Not that much into being a virtuoso as I prefer modern keyboard music and such, but it would be nice to be able to play in such a way.

8-No problem. That's what I pretty much had in mind. Plus, I won't have anything better to do for more than a month (Except a couple of Steampunk books and such). So, why not?

9-I'm going with a 61 keys semi-weighted keyboard. I might go to a higher 88 keys keyboard as my MIDI controller or something.

Any more books or PC/iPad apps (Free if possible for the iPad) that you do recommend?

There is a downloadable version of musictheory.net avaliable on that site.

The lesson portion of the site is $3 for the ipod/ipad version (no android)
Tenuto (the exercise portion of the site) is $4 (no android)

LearnMusicTheory.net has plenty of printable information in pdf format

Don't know of any free apps offhand that are any good but there lots of free ones out there-YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
There is a downloadable version of musictheory.net avaliable on that site.

The lesson portion of the site is $3 for the ipod/ipad version (no android)
Tenuto (the exercise portion of the site) is $4 (no android)

LearnMusicTheory.net has plenty of printable information in pdf format

Don't know of any free apps offhand that are any good but there lots of free ones out there-YMMV, of course.

Thanks a lot for that info. I'm downloading musictheory.com now and I will check learnmusictheory.com right away.

teoria.com

everything is free

$20 to join for a year to have your exercise results kept in their database

if you are not prepared to work with a teacher then you can expect that you will develop some very bad habits and maybe even have to be taught all over again at a later date

teoria.com

everything is free

$20 to join for a year to have your exercise results kept in their database

if you are not prepared to work with a teacher then you can expect that you will develop some very bad habits and maybe even have to be taught all over again at a later date

Why do you think I will develop bad habits without a teacher? I mean, I will learn using online and offline sources without a human being to help or teach me. What's so bad about that?

Thanks for the site nonetheless.

most of your issues will come from incorrect fingering and incorrect posture

if you want to spend your life in crippling pain because you taught yourself how to do it wrong then go for it

Last edited:
most of your issues will come from incorrect fingering and incorrect posture

if you want to spend your life in crippling pain because you taught yourself how to do it wrong then go for it

I'll look out for those, too. Let's just hope I don't **** it up.

Back