Flying Lotus Drums

W

welchy3

How does flying lotus get his drum sounds? Samples? Does he create them?

There is a similar sound to all of his drums, even with diff kicks and snares etc.. What type of effects does he use to achieve this?

I would like to not copy, but create my own unique drum sounds that make me sound more like me.

Good question though, I'd like to know.

One thing I do know about drums is you can process them in many ways... not sure if a particular program is even needed for that, other than knowledge of sounds and how to tweak em. It's part of mixing too.

You might find out buy searching "Flying Lotus interview" in Google or try asking him on Twitter.

i think he uses heavy analog compression with quick attack and release, to the point that they sound like they do, a thunderous quick distorted sound. its tough to actually fit these sounds into beats, without sounding like a mess of distorted drums. j dilla and boards of canada use this type of compression a lot, and to great effect, try listening to them for ideas

all the cats in the "wonky" hip-hop scene use heavy amounts of compression. in the extreme side of it they go overboard but it all contributes to the sound.

as for the samples they can come from anything, i remember hearing that in a samiyam interview he revealed that for flyamsam (which flying lotus is involved in) they sampled a zombie getting its skull caved in (from a movie) for a snare.

Back