FL studio styrus preset question

RhyanCrisis

I'm looking for synth sound designers, i want to learn exactly how to make the presets "super saw" in the Styrus PAD section, and the "golden saw" and "silver saw" that are in the STRING SYNTH section of the styrus plugin... its not just saw waves cuz i tried using that with some reverb etc, So can anyone give me a detailed way of how to make this sound? and what genre music is this most likely found in?.. i was doing research and i think its hardstyle.

I don't use sytrus(never understood it's workflow) but my favorite synth FM8 is almost the same thing. It just looks easier to program for me. What you should look into doing is setting the saw waves with different ratios cause that will make them more harmonious and give them a chorus-like feel. ADSR can also help depending on what you are trying to achieve. In all honesty though. The easiest way to make a super saw synth in FL would be to use 3osx. That little guy is a beast for bass and leads

Since you're talking about existing presets, wouldn't it be pretty easy to just look into them, see which parameters are being used and change those until you figure out which does what?

It's kinda hard to go into detail of how those sounds were made with just words, but I can give you a basic breakdown of what parameters were used to make it. Since I'm kinda short on time, I'll only cover the Supersaw one and maybe somebody else will take over and cover the other two. First thing to notice is that there are 6 Operators you have to work with to make this sound (Op 1-3, Filters 1-2, and the FX Operator.)
Lets start with the Operators 1-3 since those tabs are pretty similar to each other.

Operator 1-3:
To start off, you should try to recreate the shape of the saw wave in that box in the top left. Just look at the sliders beside it and compare it to the default positions to see how to create it. The next thing you'll probably notice is that youe wave shape still doesn't look anything like the Superwaw wave. To fix this you need to go into the OSC tab inside each operator and mess around with those Harmonic Magnitude sliders (The bars inside the tab) to get the right wave shape. Next you need to look under the Envelope Tab under the Volume tab in each operator. Not sure how long you've been using Sytrus but that waveform is just a simple ADRS envelope. If you know what that means, you can just do a Copy State/Paste State function to your Sytrus channel. Next, you need to edit the LFO tab under the pitch tab inside each operator. I won''t go into how to get those shapes, but that is how you get the vibrato effect that Supersaw has. Just play around with the knobs and you'll get it. That's about it for the 3 Operators. It looks like they just changed the waveform, then used the OSC tab, the Volume Envelope and the Pitch LFO to get that sound.

Filter 1 & 2:
These next two sections should be pretty easy. It looks like the only thing in FIlter 1 that was moved was the cutoff frequency knob and they didn't really move it that far so it's almost negligible. In Filter 2, it looks like all they did was change the filter type to Alternate x2, the cutoff freq again and the Waveshaper mix. All of these can be controlled in that box on top of each filter tab.

FX Operator: Chorus
This is the final step. To complete this stage, look under the FX Operator and change the chorus sliders around to match the sliders in Supersaw.
That's it.

Your version may not sound like FL's version, but hopefully now you know what effects and changes were used to produce that sound.

Back