EQing kicks?

Ministrydoc

anyone tell me how to make a nice pahtt sounding hipohp kick, i mean i've got so many samples and been foolin around with compressers n all that but it don't cut it

holla

May I suggest Steinberg's Groove Agent - superb VST-i Drum Module!

yeah, definitely try to tune your drums as best as possible. also, try layering some kicks - one with a low boom and one with more attack. . .

try to picture the way you want the bass drum to sound, and layer the samples that contain the qualities you're looking for. you may have to eq each layer so that the low requencies don't clash. . .

also, watch out when eq'ing it solo, it may sound tooootally different once its actually in the mix and you might have to re-do it!

-tim

take out a bit of mid between 400-900hz after compression,it makes it sound sweeter. around 120hz removes boxyness. try adding bass peaks before compression too . also sub/bass needs to fit with the kick so eq em toghther,and compress em toghther so the bass rolls of the kick or something. touches of reverb can fatten up a kick too. waves Rbass is cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:
depending on the kick i'm working with i usually cut out 350Hz with a wide bandwith, boost either 2.5k or try 8k, and i boost the low end around 60Hz-100Hz. Then i compress the kick 4:1, slow attack, medium release. I then create an 2 aux buses for the whole drum track. One aux bus will be limited and the other will have no compression on it. I work the faders on the kick first and the other elements of the drums. Get those how I want them, then i work on the aux buses. Normally the limited drums are hardly in the mix.

Also look at the decay of the drum sound. try to shorten the decay, cut the highs from 2khz up, and boosting at about 95 hz. This gives you that solid Kick without the speaker excursion.

Back