Electro House Music theory?

$andy.ivan

Hi guys,Is there any music theory involved when making some electo house music?
Do i need to learn the basic scales,chord progression?

Hope someone can answer this.thanks

theres theory involved in making any kind of music. It's just if you choose to use it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's as much as about rhythmic creation as anything else. Scales are important in as afar as you choose to stick to one key or tonality, but can be ignored in favour of using the same type of chord throughout, i.e.

F-D-B-A[sup]b[/sup]

F~ F-A-C
D ~ D-F[sup]#[/sup]-A
B ~ B-D[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup] ~ A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]

F[sup]#[/sup] = G[sup]b[/sup]
D[sup]#[/sup] = E[sup]b[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup] = G[sup]#[/sup]

giving the following scale

F-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A-B-C-D-D[sup]#[/sup]-F

Check out Rick Snoman's The Dance Music Manual

and

Mark J Butler's Unlocking the groove......

But,why other electronic dance music dj/producer said in their interview that they don't know some music theory,recently deadmau5 the electronic dance producer said in his interviewed that he don't know any theory,and don't interested to know about theory,because he know what his music will sound,its all about editing and sound design.

In most cases there is a little creative bs going on - they know what they are doing but do not care to have the tools needed to explain it to others. It's like a sculptor who when asked how do they make a sculpture saying, "I keep chipping away what shouldn't be there!" He doesn't talk about his tools or his understanding of the way stone behaves when struck with hammer and chisel, mainly because that sort of thing can only be truly understood by doing, not by thinking in advance; if the stone has a flaw that will shear away a large, whole, part of the block, it has to be worked around or the block has to be reduced in size to make two smaller sculptures.

So some house composers/producers and other pop music composers/producers, don't want to think about their tools or explaining how they work, but rather would just create and leave everyone thinking that it is a great mystery that cannot be solved by analysis.

Unlike a sculptor, however, it is possible to analyse the musical skin and bones being used and to delve deeper and make connections that allow someone else to create similar works of music. Even if you only do it by ear, you are still analysing and unlocking the theory that lies within the work - you can use that knowledge to create new works that are similar in nature: this is the true power of music theory, to know and understand how something is made and to have the power through your skills to duplicate or mimic or even extend into new musical works. Embrace the skills that it brings and be a better musician for it

Understanding music theory helps with all forms of music making but I think its always best when you're not actively thinking about it and rather focusing on performing. I don't think music theory will take you too far when producing house. Just learn the minor and major scales and that's about it. We're not talking about performing a concerto here. Keep it simple and keep it fun.

Def learn at least a basic understanding of theory, most importantly, listen and train. Listen to offkey mixes and understand WHY they are off key..

I would say just Chords in general, maybe progression but I dunno if thats a theory or something you'll pick up.

I've been studying counterpoint and harmony recently and think it goes out the window slightly when using huge sounds like in electro as you're rarely going to have more than 1 or 2 harmonic sounds occurring at once, quite often just 1 (that is considering the sub bass and layered bits on top to be 1 sound...) Agree sound design is the main challenge, not an easy one though!!!

My advice would be to learn chords, experiment with different progressions, and go with what sounds right! But yea, music theory is important to know regardless of genre

It's as much as about rhythmic creation as anything else. Scales are important in as afar as you choose to stick to one key or tonality, but can be ignored in favour of using the same type of chord throughout, i.e.

F-D-B-A[SUP]b[/SUP]

F~ F-A-C
D ~ D-F[SUP]#[/SUP]-A
B ~ B-D[SUP]#[/SUP]-F[SUP]#[/SUP]
A[SUP]b[/SUP] ~ A[SUP]b[/SUP]-C-E[SUP]b[/SUP]

F[SUP]#[/SUP] = G[SUP]b[/SUP]
D[SUP]#[/SUP] = E[SUP]b[/SUP]
A[SUP]b[/SUP] = G[SUP]#[/SUP]

giving the following scale

F-F[SUP]#[/SUP]-G[SUP]#[/SUP]-A-B-C-D-D[SUP]#[/SUP]-F

Check out Rick Snoman's The Dance Music Manual

and

Mark J Butler's Unlocking the groove......

Cool / +1

Yes, learn some music theory and practice with your favorite instrument, have some back ground and learn some vintage soul or funk tunes... you will learn a lot.

All comes from there really...

Producing this kind of music isn't really that hard, i've seen producers make hits in like an half an hour. You just need the right plug-ins and the knowledge of using automation and structure of your tracks. It's important for this kind of style that you create a certain kind of theme of the song and stick with it. Music theory like scales and chord isn't that important with this style. People like Tiesto, afrojack, martin garrix don't know music theory either, they know their DAW and plug-ins like its their pocket. Focus on that so you'll get workflow and you will see your production become better.

Back