The easy way to write a song...

E

Emmapeel9

1/ Think of a title. ( e.g. "Train keep rolling over the mountain" )

2/ Put that title to a melody

3/ Develop this into a chorus (The lazy way is to just repeat 4 times or so )

4/ Write the verse (Similar to the chorus but less notes usually works)

5/ organize these bits into a song (Add an instrumental verse perhaps)

example of this method: "Don't stand so close to me" by the police. (No3? 1981ish)

I think that this is a good thing to remember when you are stuck and havent used this method for a while...

However i think its good to learn how to mix it up. Like if you come up with 10 different song patterns, and then just alternate between them or something?

One thing i remember, when i was first learning about music and had bought my first guitar: I was sitting there listening to a Weezer CD... i cant remember which but its the one with "Holiday (island in the sun)" on it, and i remember that THE ENTIRE CD was made up of the same song structure and it was annoying.

It was always something like this

Intro: Everything in the chorus minus the vocals.

Vs: 1
Chorus
Vs: 2 (not much variation from Vs 1)
Chorus
Bridge: A guitar playing the melody of the chorus
Chorus

and every song did that. It made the entire album uninteresting.

The main point here is that it can be more fun to start at the end rather than the beginning.

Some people start a song by thinking about: what structure it will be, what key it will be in, what the chords will be, what the verse will be etc. You can do it anyway if it works but it can be more fun to start with the chorus and sometimes just the title.

"A hard days night" "eight days a week" are a couple of others.

Back