dynamic 808 help

Spicymike

I don't use ableton so i really can't help you, i highly suggest checking Youtube though. Maybe someone else asked this question and got some results there.

You have to pick the right 808 (boom) and kick sound first depending on how you want it to sound. most of the time you have to eq both sounds to clue them together. If it doesn't sound right try to change the kick. leaving around 50hz on both sounds gives it a nice punch,

you can try sound combinations, go for two tick hits, kabang... but my shit sucks, im just in a dream world. (that music you posted was good i love it) post process can help, but dont ruin your punch with too much sustain.

Well the main question is are you simply using samples or are you designing the low 808 from scratch?

808's can be really fun and simple. Try this on most synths for a very basic, yet editable low part of the 808:

1) Choose a sine wave from the wavetable, or whatever your synth uses

2) Put an envelope on the pitch of the sine wave (if possible in your synth), and make the modulation somewhere around 24 semitones up. Make the envelope immediately open all the way, then close down very fast. This will give a "punchy" sort of sound, but not disrupt the actual pitch if done fast enough.

3) Change the volume envelope to have a somewhat longer release, so that when you finish with the sound, it "softly fades out."

And that's really it to create a basic, editable 808. The tricks now are simply to adjust the release to where you enjoy it, maybe add some distortion to the sound, maybe slightly change the wavetable to be a triangle or fusion of a few waveforms, etc.

Beyond that, it's all about the layering. Find a nice, punchy kick to go overtop of this sine wave to make a more in your face kick, or a more muted top end for another flavor.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

the kicks are layered
one for the snap and the other one for the juicy lowend
use compressing try messing with ratio settings and attack ,decay functions.

Well the main question is are you simply using samples or are you designing the low 808 from scratch?

808's can be really fun and simple. TRY THIS on most synths for a very basic, yet editable low part of the 808:

1) Choose a sine wave from the wavetable, or whatever your synth uses

2) Put an envelope on the pitch of the sine wave (if possible in your synth), and make the modulation somewhere around 24 semitones up. Make the envelope immediately open all the way, then close down very fast. This will give a "punchy" sort of sound, but not disrupt the actual pitch if done fast enough.

3) Change the volume envelope to have a somewhat longer release, so that when you finish with the sound, it "softly fades out."

And that's really it to CREATE A basic, editable 808. The tricks now are simply to adjust the release to where you enjoy it, maybe add some distortion to the sound, maybe slightly change the wavetable to be a triangle or fusion of a few waveforms, etc.

Beyond that, it's all about the layering. Find a nice, punchy kick to go overtop of this sine wave to make a more in your face kick, or a more muted top end for another flavor.

Good luck. Hope this helps.​

how do you make an CL, RS, CB and CY tho?

Most samplers have a fade in or fade out option I usually do a fade out to my 808 if there is either a click or its just a wall of sound and the sustain is to long

A lot of low end but cut off the lowest so theres no static, i guessing. and cutting off the higher end also leaving around 4k for a punch. just to give you some direction is all, and also a compressor and perhaps a limiter. the limiter in ableton doesn't do it for me as the one in maschine, which is what i use.

Most hiphop producers are not making there own sounds (sound designers), they are using samples.
To get your 808s right I think the key is in your eqing, dist., and compression.
Dont get too caught up in sound designing if you just wanna make beats and produce, you wont get nothing done.

Last edited:
Back