Dry Sounds...HELP

JSniper

Thanks in advance for even reading this. Here's my delima. I have a roland fantom x6, mpc1000, and an mbox2 running pro tools 7. When I'm doing productions I get the dryest sounds out of my equipment and it always sounds low when bouncing them out of pro tools. My question is this. 1)Why are the sounds so dry? coming from my roland and mpc? What can I do to fix it? And why is the volume so low coming out out pro tools when bouncing the track. For samples you can go to http://www.soundclick.com/beatsgaloreproductions to hear what I'm talking about. Thanks for the help.

What do you mean by Dry? Uncompressed? No reverb?

Pro Tools' whole idea is to not color the incoming sound at all. It does this so you can color the sound yourself once it is inside.

Just add some 4:1 compression or some small room reverb or something.

No sorry, I will check the links when I get home.

The best I can say about making it sound "real" is your use of samples. I often get people sending me stuff with samples that just completely dont work together.

Just make sure you have a good sample library, use different velocities, sustains, etc. Like I said before though, using delays and reverbs can make it sound very real, like a live performance.

Of course it takes practice and experimenting, just give it time and you will figure out what works and what doesnt.

Thank you very much Digiave. I appreciate it. You just don't know. Some people are very anal about helping others. Thanks

Digiave.Net said:
The best I can say about making it sound "real" is your use of samples. I often get people sending me stuff with samples that just completely dont work together.

Just make sure you have a good sample library, use different velocities, sustains, etc. Like I said before though, using delays and reverbs can make it sound very real, like a live performance.

Of course it takes practice and experimenting, just give it time and you will figure out what works and what doesnt.

Exactly. these beats sounds like you got bad samples. you have to get more realistic sounds. i really recommend getting some major sample library like sonicsynth/sampletank or quantum leaps sound libraries. ppl gonna laugh at me but i seriously tell you i have found really good and realistic sounds from soundfonts too if you dont wanna pay so much for the samples. just look sites for word "soundfonts". free and great drum sounds you can find really easily from the web so its not a problem.

Will these sound font work on an MPC1000 and or Roland Fantom X6? These are what I use. OR will they only work on FruityLoops. I got that too. Thanks by the way.

Actually,

that Fantom he has should be all he needs. What you need to do is

Playing sounds in octaves
layer sounds together
fill empty space with underlaying sounds.

Tis way the track fill bigger/bolder and not so thin

I wouldn't worry about low volume at this point. I reckon your beats are still at an early stage as they are on soundclick and I suppose you'll put vox and overdubs on them later. You better leave the proper loudness up to mastering. There's plenty of how-to's on FP. I can recommend reading posts by Massive Mastering, Neilwight and a few others about recording and mixing levels and mastering.

But you need to get them basic sounds fixed mate. It's actually nuff said from the other replies but I just want to add that I reckon your beats have got potential and it's really good pre-production material. I definitely recommend you hook up with
vocalists in your area, record some pilot tracks and remix (re-record) your beats with proper rap and vox hooks. It also makes it much easier to find sounds that blend well with vocals. You'll enter a different dimension, trust me.

Most of your material just needs a few details I reckon. The brass sounds are awful and the drums are lacking a bit of room. Some fillers and fx won't hurt either. Otherwise I double what was mentioned before.

I did a rough test with add ons based on one of your mp3 tracks. If you want me to post a link on here or PM you let me know. Otherwise I'll delete it. (In any case no worries, nicking stuff is not in our book.)

easy
B#

Yes R2B, please post a link on here. I'd like to see what happens. And thanks for the info. I really needed it.

All right then Sniper here you go mate. Sounds and instruments are a matter of taste of course but that's just what came to my mind when I heard it. The sound quality got degraded, can't be avoided from decoding and re-encoding the mp3 but it's just a test.

(right click and 'save link as')

Let me know when you want me to take it off.

easy mate
B#

Now that's exactly what I'm talking about. That wet, live sound just like that. That's what I'm trying to get out of my sound. Perfect R2B. I really thank you. Actually all of you. You can take it down now. Sorry for those of you who missed it.

Back