Does the use of Marijuana increase your production skills ??

JaxBeats

Somebody's gotta ask... haha

- If so, I would like to know how & in what way...

Personally I think my mixes are more on point. But not neccessarily on the composing end..

Let me know your experiences.

Unfortunately... nope lol. Well, for me at least. I just end up getting too chill and lazy or mad stooopid; both of which disable me from accomplishing anything lol.

Changes from person to person. As much as I'm a fan of getting faded it stumps my creativity. My mind wanders too much and I lose focus. A beer or 2 while working is cool.

Now in a social environment working(like with a group of people making a track)it actually makes me come up with some crazy stuff just because everyone in the room will keep the focus on the song. If they let thewir attention sway mine will as well. Plenty of sessions involving smoke end with me and whoever's recording online looking at youtube vids or on facebook and no songs getting done.

If it works for you, stick with it, just don't lie to yourself and try to convince yourself it's helping if it's really a hinderence. As long as it's not counterproductive, go for it.

it varies from person to person.. for instance..
my friend he says he can't make music high.. his brain gets too fried.. I use to be the same way till I became a habitual smoker.. but what works for me is that I smoke only a little bit.. I'm not neccessarily real high.. but I feel some effects.. and can function.. i made some of my best music recently using this approach.. sometimes i'll be high.. **** up and create some hot shit just by doing messing around doing some high shit lol feel me..

I've worked with super straight buttoned up christians who have no creativity.
I've worked with super straight buttoned up christians who have creativity oozing out of their pores.

I've worked with super bombed weed heads who have no creativity.
I've worked with super bombed weed heads who have creativity oozing out of their pores.

i.e. creativity is not found in narcotics of any sort despite the Romantic era poets alleged reliance on laudanum, cocaine and opium/heroin....

I've had to rescue guys from their own folly when high, by making a mix based on what was discussed before they got high (recording all the hardware settings for reproduction the following day) and what they instructed me to do after they got high (again recording all settings for reproduction the following day) and bouncing both mixes out to cassette for them to listen to on the way in.

I've let the flow go, because they are more inspired when high.

Everybody reacts to weed differently, as everyone reacts to alcohol differently.

Creativity is not the sole province of the drug addled or the supremely sober: it is the province of the creative mind, which can inhabit any one.

Quite simply: drugs are a way out, not a way through........

Last edited:
As long as I don't smoke myself to sleep it definitely helps. Especially when I'm starting to lose focus or running into beat block.

skills? no. Creativity? possibly. Most times with things like this most people psych themselves out and fall victim to the self fulfilling prophecy. In other words. If they believe smoking will make them be more creative, they become more creative. If they believe smoking will make them less creative. They will become less creative. Simple as that

Sativa is what you want in terms of marijuana and producing. Indica is alright as long as you got some coffee or red bull next to you while you work, if not you'll be taking a nap in no time.

I've never smoked marijuana, but when I'm working on music I usually have a couple cigars or a pipe and a jar of pipe tobacco nearby. Nicotine helps me keep focus, and dammit, cigars and pipe tobacco taste amazing!

I don't believe you guys just waste your Marijuana state by sitting down at the studio. Rather go to the nature, sit in the sunset, with friends... yes, it can make you feel the music more intense, so playing an instrument can be awesome, but not sitting down and adjusting effects on your synths. No, it won't help you in "studio" work. You only lose concetration, ending messing up things and never getting real job done.

yeah for me it never worked... it wasn't until I gave up smoking (and other things) that I began to make progress in anything not just music...

Good question. I personally think it's a placebo. What you hear at the time is simply going to sound better.... because you're high. But when your sober, you'll realize how boring it is.

You don't make better music, you HEAR better music. lol

Good question. I personally think it's a placebo. What you hear at the time is simply going to sound better.... because you're high. But when your sober, you'll realize how boring it is.

You don't make better music, you HEAR better music. lol

From all the answers, this is my favorite one. I totally agree with it.

See, I don't smoke, but there are other ways of feeling kinda high you know... I'm serious, because some stuff is like alcohol to me, I just started saying a lot of shit that at that moment seems funny, and I even take notes (or in music, I write the lyrics...) but the next they I look at it, and I'm like "WTFFFF is this o_O this is terrible, lol".
Well I get more inspirated and wayyy more sentimental BUT less hard working... I assume that it is good if you have a block, but if you are mixing, I don't really think so.

Last edited:
Back