Does melody reflect what you're feeling?

Olie

Most people seem to have a couple or more "go to" emotional states which means if we're just letting it flow there should just be around a couple types/genres of beats we naturally make.

When i just let it flow i either make chilled out funky beats or horrorcore creepy ones. It's kind of odd since i don't listen to either of those genres and they're compelte opposites. It would indicate that i'm either very anxious or chilled out most of the time though, which is pretty much right.

If you're not trying to make a certain vibe in your music and you just let it flow, does it reflect your natural emotional states?

I honestly think it depends.

Usually if I create a song in an emotional state of mind I end up creating something that has a really happy and energetic vibe to it, which may seem wierd, but I think it's because I like to listen to music that brings a certain feeling that I usually can't experience in everyday scenarios. For example if I'm feeling sad I'll create something upbeat because it's the type of thing I want to hear at the moment in hope that it will replace the melancholic mood with something more optimistic.

Usually if I'm really relaxed I'll end up with something pretty ambient which is usually used in chillout tracks. And if I'm feeling inspired or ambitious I usually create something very orchestral that has a lot of powerful chord progressions and melodies. So in those particular moods the melody is very reflectant.

I'm pretty biased though because I tend to produce in major and like keeping my songs uptempo.

For me it's more so the type of music i'm currently into at the moment. Maybe it's because i'm very new (~3 months or so) but more than the mood, i usually end up trying to create a similar type of beat to songs that I have been listening to lately.

Honestly, I think that the tone of the song is influenced by many, many variants. When you're not aiming for a certain "sound", I think it'll reflect more your influences than your feelings.

My tracks usually do reflect my mood, but it's also a combination of what synths I'm working with. I do find that when I'm just messing around with chords, I tend to go towards minor ones, which I guess are "sadder" than major ones. I also end up throwing in soft pads with a dark tone to them.

I make progressive house which kind of encourages that style at times. I try to get out of that style when I'm feeling most creative, but if I'm in my natural state, that's what I go with. What the heck does that all mean lol.

Back