Do You Ever Use Loops? !poll!

Do you ever use loops to create your music??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use one-shot drum sounds from the net, but I don't really use any loops per say. I just can't be bothered

I use loops basically as interesting waveforms. I use various chains of effects, as well as what I would like to think of as really clever gate/compression usage, or will add a series of evolving textures to completely destroy, say, a horn sample, into an ambient backgroun delay.

I HATE the overuse of samples, personally. There are so many shitty broducers are soundcloud, with a 2 minute stretch of literally one old school piano type loop and some old hip hop drum loop. I personaly cant stand it.

BUT

I also hate rules in music. I always say this, if you want to make shitty simple music just to get some drunk people to bob their head, go ahead and do it. Creativity will always lead to the greatest success.

I like to use loops for drums. I usually completely deconstruct these but keep the original groove. I then extract groove from that loop and apply it to my midi loops (Ableton rules! ;) )

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

And I believe there is no rule, why would it be a shame to use loops?

Some visual artists are doing great stuffs by putting small pieces of picture together, and Web designers constantly use and transform photos. No-one complains about that :)

The only important thing is the final result and the feeling you will bring to the audience IMHO!

Cheers,

Luc

I always say this, if you want to make shitty simple music just to get some drunk people to bob their head, go ahead and do it. Creativity will always lead to the greatest success.

I really really wish I could agree with you. :P

Loops are fine nothings original these days all that matters is you have fun ;)

I Never use loops. I just love the idea that I actually composed everything myself. I used a loop once though but that was only for the ending to slow the beat down and give it a more mellow vibe.

^^^Arps, programmed sequences, ect. are all ultimately loops, so...yeah, I agree.

It amuses me how many guys scream they don't use loops who's sound could flourish just from adding a real guitar lick, a real drumroll at a key point, or a choir sequence, even just an animated sweep for transitioning.

People don't even hear the choir in nicki Minaj's "starships", but it played a key factor in filling the song.

I don't knock anyone who can bring all the potential out of their music by any means, but the biggest myth in the world is people use loops because they're not talented enough to play. Some people use them to add fullness and realism you can only get from a loop, or a live instrument.

I have yet to hear anyone on this site argue loops/samples aren't needed with anything close to a realistic and convincing instruments in their music. They all sound like they just use logic's stock sounds(equivalent to a casio keyboard).

Only if it brings the track to a new level....

There are some great atmospheric and natural sounds you just can't get form VSTs sometimes. E.g. even though I could just as easily program or play a riff with a bass guitar sound on a VSTs it just wouldn't sound exactly the same as a vintage loop of a jazz player doing it with a real instrument with a nice classic recording sound (errors and all) for a nice warm feel. Loops are great ways to get ideas flowing too, even if you toss out the loop that inspired a song before the final mixdown.

^^^Arps, programmed sequences, ect. are all ultimately loops, so...yeah, I agree.

It amuses me how many guys scream they don't use loops who's sound could flourish just from adding a real guitar lick, a real drumroll at a key point, or a choir sequence, even just an animated sweep for transitioning.

People don't even hear the choir in nicki Minaj's "starships", but it played a key factor in filling the song.

I don't knock anyone who can bring all the potential out of their music by any means, but the biggest myth in the world is people use loops because they're not talented enough to play. Some people use them to add fullness and realism you can only get from a loop, or a live instrument.

I have yet to hear anyone on this site argue loops/samples aren't needed with anything close to a realistic and convincing instruments in their music. They all sound like they just use logic's stock sounds(equivalent to a casio keyboard).

The opposition to loops is really a part of a bigger issue concerning the mindset of these individuals. They seem more concerned with being a one-man-band for the sake of claiming originality and stoking their ego than they are with actually producing good music.

Using loops is much like using samples. However I like to use the loop as a template and layer drums over it to give it a different sound in the end.

Exactly Lost_! I feel like people who have an issue just need to prove themselves, stroke their ego to feel superior and make others feel less.

My newest beat, I looped up a part for the hook, and chopped up the sample for the verse. At the end of the day, if the product sounds nice and people can vibe with it, I'm happy. I don't feel the need to even claim I did it. Something that didn't exist before, was Created.

Using loops is a great point to start a new track and for many producers these are a good source of inspiration. Beside the well know wav loops there are also MIDI loops. This can be used to create your own original samples, render with your own synthesizers and create new and original loops. Using midi loops allow you to modify the notes and tempos more easy. I think using loops as inspiration is helpful.

Automating pre-made loops can really bring a lot of originality and personality out of them.

I don't use drum loops, IDK why I've just always preferred to chop them up.

I've loop plenty of instrumental parts though, main reason is cause I suck at rearranging chopped up instruments.

I don't have anything against anything though, if it sounds good I don't care where it came from.

There's one thing I look down on and that's people who can only loop things, if you can't chop and arrange, or lay instruments over instrument loops that's some beginners shit to me.

loops is no different than sampling for me. i have no problem with sampling but it really depending on the quality of the loop/sample and chopping it up with my own arrangement

started in 09 now 14 except for the last 3 posts this had died 6 months ago - a lot of water has flowed under the bridge and this seems as good a point as any to close this thread down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back