Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do most producers make there best music in days time rather than minutes?

MarcDHall is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I can take hours, days, months, years...

If you get bored making a piece of music after a few hours how can you expect someone else to listen to it for more than a few hours??

Focused is offline Urban Sound Designer, Mod
    Thanks
    The music is done once it well represents your intentions and conceptual direction in an intriguing way for the duration of the song. This is not something that necessarily has an associated time frame attached to it. Early on in your music production the game is about making your production sound full. Once you have more experience, you begin to realize the fullness is not the end game and that is when you become more objective about your judgements of completeness.

thawedoutproductions is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    "I find that the morning is the best for me to come up with new ideas because there is very little of the day weighing on my mind seeing as how it just started" BAM Couldn't have said it better myself. I always thought of myself as a night person when it comes to making music but nothing beats waking up early with a fresh mind and going to work on the weekends - at least in my case.
    likes this.

Kadeshi is offline Kadesh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcDHall View Post
    If you get bored making a piece of music after a few hours how can you expect someone else to listen to it for more than a few hours??
    This. Keep going until it's ready.. I can't see how anybody could finish something completely in less than a day. But then, some people are incredible.

Chieftain is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    me too.. It's what I love about music production. It really motivates my day looking forward to doing some more on a track

Tricky Diesel is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    When I get in the zone beats come fast and easy. As for now it takes me maybe two days or a week max to finish one beat.

Chieftain is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    damn, i have yet to finish a track. got lots of ideas and potential tracks, but so far nothing complete. I have only just begun though

Dr.FillyBlunt is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I feel like an outcast on this one. I generally work on a beat anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I'm just never satisfied with what I have and it really has an impact on my productions. I'd feel good about getting just one beat out each month, but you guys doing this in a few hours... I've been at this for several years and over the past two or three have grown just a bit more serious about it. Not to say that I haven't improved because I know I have in all aspects of production but I guess I get too critical about my own tracks.

I have probably over one hundred unfinished projects saved on an old flashdrive of mine I've done over the years. At least 85% of them are patterns or something that ranges for a few bars, much of the stuff I considered good on the drive I can never revisit though because many sounds used in it were from my old favorite VST hypersonic 2. I can't seem to get that to run on a 64-bit version of windows.
    Last edited by Dr.FillyBlunt; 01-29-2013 at 07:31 PM.

mark1234 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    you shouldn't work to little but also not overwork too much on a beat.
    too many instruments will make it sound like a chaos anyway.
    -

apdagr8 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jc_biffro View Post
    i find the longer i work on a track, the worse it gets. That might sound ridiculous, but i end up over complicating the beat to the point that it just sounds cluttered and awful.

I need to learn to abide to 'less is more'.
    work depending on which genre you are aiming for. You know that hip hop beats dont necessarily need a bunch of sounds whereas a pop beat youre working on might use alot of tracks. And its also about how you feel when youre making the track. If you feel like youre overcomplicating the beat then stop working on that track and either start a fresh one or just take a break and go put your mind towards something else for awhile then come back to it. Hope my opinion helps you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information