Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do most producers make there best music in days time rather than minutes?

dmajor100 is offline Registered User

Do most producers make there best music in days time rather than minutes?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ive notice that a lot my music that I've spent half a day on or a day and a half have been my best work yet. Its rare that any thing i make in minutes is any good and i have done okay stuff but its nothing really hot. So I'm just curious if my theory of taking more time on your music and being more creative is a winner.

krushing is offline Moderator
    I doubt there's an all-encompassing theory that applies to everyone. Sometimes the good stuff does come out in minutes (that doesn't mean the track's finished in that time as well, though), sometimes it takes time to, ahem, mature & evolve over time.

JC_Biffro is offline Registered User
    I find the longer I work on a track, the worse it gets. That might sound ridiculous, but I end up over complicating the beat to the point that it just sounds cluttered and awful.

I need to learn to abide to 'less is more'.
    likes this.

DigitalKillaz is offline Registered User
    yeah, this is a craft so part of the skill is being able to stop and take a step back or to just let it roll... I find that sometimes a few minutes creativity can be enough material to work on for some time after... with time and practice comes discipline... its about recognising when you are making progress and when you are just passing time... I think generally speaking the longer you spend on something the better it must be... but in my early days and still now sometimes if i'm not carefull I can overwork something and lose what i was originally trying to express...

I find it helps if i decide exactly what i'm going to be doing before i begin work... so for example am I trying to create something new? am I working on a chord progression? Am I improving a drum track?

I like to try out as many possiblities as I can and burn to disc, listen on my stereo, in my car etc... then i decide upon a direction to take and go from there...

: )

minutes? days? I've got stuff ive been working for years...

BeatGenerals is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_Biffro View Post
    I find the longer I work on a track, the worse it gets. That might sound ridiculous, but I end up over complicating the beat to the point that it just sounds cluttered and awful.

I need to learn to abide to 'less is more'.
    I agree with this, I start changing too much, getting bored with it and end up with something way different than what I intended lol. I usually make my best stuff 10-15 mins before I go to bed and then cant wait to wake up to finish it.
    likes this.

High Quality FL Studio Tutorials

http://www.beatgenerals.com

JC_Biffro is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatGenerals View Post
    I agree with this, I start changing too much, getting bored with it and end up with something way different than what I intended lol. I usually make my best stuff 10-15 mins before I go to bed and then cant wait to wake up to finish it.
    Amen to the can't wait to get up to finish it!

A Kind Machine is offline Registered User
    I've been on a roll recently getting up at 6 AM and recording 1:30 minute tracks to use for a hypothetical movie soundtrack. I have to leave for work by 8 and get ready so I usually end up recording for about an hour. I just hook up my bass and guitar and start searching for magic. I find that the morning is the best for me to come up with new ideas because there is very little of the day weighing on my mind seeing as how it just started. Of course mixing and such things take a much longer time but in terms of getting great tracks this routine has been working really well for me.
    Last edited by A Kind Machine; 01-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.

zlaya is offline Registered User
    I have had both. But i find that if it doesnt happen for me in and hour or two, it probably wont happen. Of course I may go in later and make some changes down the road and whatnot, but thats me.

MiguelL is offline Registered User
    When I have an idea, I get it down on FL asap and then save it as an unfinished project. I have a lot of those, just so that I always have something to work on/go back to. Recently I went back to one of the first beats I made (years ago) and added stuff to it (from what I've learned over the years) and it turned out to be one of my best pieces of work. Therefore, it really depends on the time, the place, the person etc. From this, I've learned to never delete my project files no matter how wack some of them may be. You never know how they may benefit you in the future...

manifest2177 is offline Registered User
    Like this method, same way with rap lyrics, even if it's a bar, write it down in small pad; as for beat creation main topic up top, if half a day or full day is where you feel comfortable, see what you can do in a shorter time span. Lets say an hour.Only to test yourself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information