DnB Vs Trance Vs HipHop Vs Eclectic etc

David McGowan said:
but have you ever just listened to an instrumental, hip hop track, for the most part they are repetitive and bland. but add some good vocals and poof it sounds good.

I agree in principal, because I play guitar, and also do melodic trance etc, but I also do hip hop and RnB.

Firstly, most RnB producers actually are heavily involved in the writing process. Loads of work!

Secondly, I believe that great vocal production, and I mean great... ( because the entire track relies on it )... work is just as hard as, if not harder than harmonies and appreggios (bad generalisation).

In the real world side of things, being a great producer in vocal based music-land, is about not ****ing around. See, studios to get the best vocal recordings cost a bundle and unlike dance music where you have a lot more freedom and luxury in the comfort of personal studios, you cannot stay up all night in a studio smokin weed and tinkering at something till you get it right without selling both your kidneys on the black market to pay for it.

Good point insomnia. There is a huge difference in approach with a personal studio, versus a professional studio where you pay huge dollars per session. There is good and bad in both approaches. Not having any pressure to complete something at home can cause ideas to languish into oblivion. On the other side of the coin, having to work efficiently within a time deadline may prevent you from fully exploring every possibility you would like within an idea. Finding a compromise seems the best of both worlds - do your creative homework as much as you can before going into a pro studio, and then work efficiently to get it down once you're there. Conversely, if you are working only in a personal studio, put some kind of time frame on finishing a project - that way you just don't abandon it after getting frustrated.

As far as this complexity thing goes, which is harder and all that, I think it has to do with the producer more than the style of music. Sometimes even simple sounding songs are quite complex in their contruction due to the level of detail that an obsessive producer will take it to. Just because you do not hear all the blood, sweat, and tears does not mean that someone did not labor over the song for endless hours while composing & recording it.

Trance
Good sounding trance has melodies and hamonies that are composed together much like classical music. Harmonizing things is hard to do. Playing with the synths so they sound just right. There is a lot of time. DJ Scot project is really good at hard trance. His remix of fire wire is really good and very anthemic (Is that even a word)

Drum 'n' Bass
Ok all you need to do is listen to a Drum 'n' Bass track.
Can you do that? Those beats are very fast and swing well with complexity. Its hard to too. I have tried and failed hardcore.

I'll get it evntally

GamezBond said:
DnB sucks ass....

When would you listen to it?? It's too weird for me...

No melody.....No groove....

It seems like its trying to hard really....

gamezbond,

i would like to try and make you a believer (as well as all the others who like to hate on the junglist culture), please check out the following link

http://dubplates.dogsonacid.com/index.php?page=2&pagesize=50

i would like you to listen to the track entitled "inner distance" by calyx (it's towards the bottom of the page, it says "inner distance" next to the real player symbol)....be sure to turn your speakers up and put your ears close to the subs....

that's more for the trance-headz inside (if ya'll trance headz can dig that one, check out the choon on the same page titled "U & Me" by Paul B feat. Yana Kay)

if that doesn't float your boat, check this one out

http://dubplates.dogsonacid.com/index.php?page=3&pagesize=50

it's called "you didn't see it did you" by seba and paradox (more towards the middle of the page) and is for the breakbeat lovers inside.....how can you not have respect for the way those breaks/drums were programmed and manipulated? too complex, just too damn tuff....oh gosh.....can you say "bassline?"

and there's even good sell-out bootleg choons out there for my mainstream peeps, check this remix of a pretty despicable tune converted into loveliness by an unknown producer

http://dubplates.dogsonacid.com/index.php?page=4&pagesize=50

it's called "breathe remix" by sean paul and blu cantrell and the clip is located more towards the bottom of the page (yes, i hate mash-ups too, but how can you not get down? feel me?)

-natural selection

lightah crew!!

:bat:

renishaw said:

Exactly.

Deiselboy & co. 'Project Human'- I recomend it.

big up the one like Renishaw!
so i guess not all you brits hate on the US scene?! J/K dude :p

:cheers:

cheers from the cantankerous roughneck rudebwoy known as natural selection ("let's keep music evil, yes?")

as someone who produces (or attempts to) a range of styles covering dnb, hip/trip hop, techno i would say every style that you work in presents its own unique problems.

It is important in drum n bass in most cases to have drums that flow together and sound like a like drummer, this is quite easily got around with the use of sampled breaks, this is why breaks like the amen are so heavily used. Laying out drum patterns that sound proffesional on a step sequencer are difficult and take a fair bit of work, meaning you wont get it straight away. Its difficult because at 180bpm every hit is so close to the last one you can hear that it sounds exactly the same as the last, but with a live drummer thats sampled the pitch etc will vary

Techno is easier than drum n bass in the sense that it is repetitvie and can have almost any sound you want. The difficulty with techno is crafting unique sounds which sit well together, one that is done you can slap it all toghether and mix it down

Hip hop is the easiest to produce because you have a vocal track which carries the song. The music in hip hop can and normaly is repetative. There is no need for lots of changes, layers or instruments to keep the listener from gettin bored, in most cases the music is just to aid the vocals. the drum track doesnt need to be a finely crafted peice of art like d'n'b because the hits are much further apart

I find trip hop, like portishead, to be the same as hip hop just with alot more atmospherics and a bit more musical creativity.

Sample based music like dj shadows, avalanches, gets much respect from me. That **** takes hours and hours of searching and hard work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: depends on how you look at it

robin_loops said:
They say there is no such thing as a bad student,
only bad teachers.

I say there is no such thing as a bad music,
Only bad composers

:cheers:

well said.

In my opinion, DnB, Hip Hop, House, and most forms of electronic or modern music
have a bridge to each other. Late 70's Early 80's electronica and Hip Hop for
instance were on in the same both take their q's from Disco, and experimental
punk...... even more aparrent the bridge between early Techno and mordern
D'n'B....... you all remember Happy Hardccore "right"........ I believe good
music is hard to make, but "GREAT " music hard doesn't even begin to
describe the process. :cry: For real

:cheers: Cheers....

There isn't one genre that's harder to make than the other...it really depends on how layered the track is. Any trance, dnb, or hip hop track could be layered and complicated to the point where it would take forever to sequence it. And then you can have the odd trance, dnb, hip hop track that's quite simple in it's production.

I'd also say it has alot to do with what your used to/grew up on.

If you grew up listening to soul/funk music, you probably find the creation of hip hop easy, but dnb hard as hell (thats what im going through right now). since its what you know, its how you think about music.

If you grew up listening to dnb/trance, I bet laying down a The Roots/Digable Planets track is hard as hell. Totally different approaches to music. different structures, theories, everything.

Itd be interesting to listen to a hip hop album produced by Makai/Roni Size, complete with apperances by everyone from Snoop Dogg to Sage Francis.

It'd also be interesting to liste to a dnb album produced by Kanye West, Odd Nosdam, RZA, any body in the whole range of hip hop.

Getting D&B down is tough, and it is easier in theory to make other types of music BUT

A crap tune is a crap tune... and the best ones make the genre look easy to make.. and everything is relative. If you dont know anything about making a certain type of music of course it will be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator ie kick step in D&B, thump thump in house, trance techno etc.

Its only as easy in relation to what you know about production and the music itself.

pleideis_lo said:

In my opinion, DnB, Hip Hop, House, and most forms of electronic or modern music
have a bridge to each other. Late 70's Early 80's electronica and Hip Hop for
instance were on in the same both take their q's from Disco, and experimental
punk...... even more aparrent the bridge between early Techno and mordern
D'n'B....... you all remember Happy Hardccore "right"........ I believe good
music is hard to make, but "GREAT " music hard doesn't even begin to
describe the process. :cry: For real

Yes, most of it comes from Jamaica.

Back