Different Types of drum patterns

lowclassvillain

This could be a pretty huge discussion I haven't been composing music that long and it seems that when I create a track I start with the melody and it will start flowing but somehow I gravitate to using the same drum patterns that I use often in other tracks I have composed because it particularly sounds good. It seems I am pretty unaware in how to use crashes that complement snares and claps and where to put kicks etc. I mean my tracks sound good and they are rapable or you can sing over them it's just i want to start something different and I was wondering if someone could explain how like maybe drums are actually used if that makes any sense.

One thing that I have learned to do that has helped me a lot, is that if I feel there's something that I'm not good enough at and struggle to do, I dedicate a whole production phase to it, like an hour or 2 just doing that, nothing else.
Because it's often a matter of climbing over a wall, once you're over it and have jumped down to the other side you can run forward.
So lay down your basic drum pattern, then just sit down and do nothing else than laying down creative percussion rythms.

Or you can simply do a bit of a different approach, add the kick and snare/clap last in the bit. Start with different rythms with percussion and such ontop of the melody, with no pumping beat, and then add the basic kick and snare/clap.

Have a listen to a bunch of different drum breaks and get a feel for the patterns and swing. You could also layer how you add your kicks and cymbals. By that I mean, run the sequence once and hit the kick at your main parts you want it, then run it again and add some kicks around for nuances. Do the same with cymbals. It'll have more of a live feel.

Or lay drums first, and try to build the melody around it. This my switch how you approach building your melodies and vary them a bit. I say this because perhaps you always gravitate to a pattern because it fits a similar pattern in your other instruments.

Back