"Cutting" snare

GycVaughn

Good Evening ,

I really ask myself how to achieve a high , sharp and present snare-sound like in :

I know it has something to do with the right amount of compression and some eqing but I never get my snares as dominant as I want to .

Thx for ur help

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening ,

I really ask myself how to achieve a high , sharp and present snare-sound like in :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLtFMTv6uo

I know it has something to do with the right amount of compression and some eqing but I never get my snares as dominant as I want to .

Thx for ur help

How do you know that? Who said that?

Have you thought that maybe you just need a high, sharp, and present sample?

I'm not sure what people would use compression for. I could see them meaning to make it a snappier kick, but hopefully you're using your samples in a sampler with an ADSR envelope.

I can see people taking out the low end with eq, which will make it relatively brighter.

the answer is layering, my friend. Probably it's more than just a single snare there. Maybe a clap, or a sidestick.

Try adding light distortion I like to use a multiband distortion to give the high frequency a crunch and it helps it cut through a mix

its all about layering 2-3 snares
finding the right samples is very important
after that its just finding the right frequency to boost
and some compression.

How do you know that? Who said that?

Have you thought that maybe you just need a high, sharp, and present sample?

I'm not sure what people would use compression for. I could see them meaning to make it a snappier kick, but hopefully you're using your samples in a sampler with an ADSR envelope.

I can see people taking out the low end with eq, which will make it relatively brighter.

Compression = transient shaping.

You need a few ms of attack so the compressor does not start to compress immediately. That´s the trick. The rest is trial and error (ratio, threshold, release) and/or experience. And hardknee of course.

Alternatively you can use a transient shaper.

Cheers
Sebastian

sadly this is a high-pitched 808 snare - no compression to speak of or transient shaping either - just good dynamic control via midi velocity and some slight eq to bring out the air in the sound

sadly this is a high-pitched 808 snare - no compression to speak of or transient shaping either - just good dynamic control via midi velocity and some slight eq to bring out the air in the sound

Sry but my answer was a little bit more in general because I was under the assumption that the guy to whom my post reffered to did not know how to apply compresion on a snare to shape the initial transients. :)

Just curious, when you are talking about a "high-pitched 808 snare" do you mean early 808 vs later 808 snare sound model? Or do you mean a pitched snare sample of a 808? Because there is no "pitch" on a tr 808 unless someone circuitbends it.

IMHO every snare (if not highpassed to death) benefits from some compression and/or transientshaping. At least for me it gives me way more control over the whole frequency range (fundamental [ I guess somewhere @ 200Hz] + noise).

Cheers
Sebastian

it just seems a little higher than the expected pitch of 174.614 Hz (F2) and 349.228 Hz (F3), more like a 5th above

Back