a cry for help.

sthiza

Hie there Musos.

I last posted a request for help to you i got no reply.I have been searching the web for answers but no luck. Now this is probably my last resort. I'm using Cubase Sx1,. I don't have a vocal booth. the thing i want to remove all the hissing and air noise behind. I have tried using noise gate, reverb A withno luck. the room that i'm using is noiseless.And secondly when i have already recorded on Audio 2, and want to back up my lyrics on Audio 3, all the lyrics from Audio 2 end up on Audio 3. I love Cubase and would really love to master it.

THIRDLY, when i want to do an audio mixdown, the track only plays a few seconds on windows media player, even if it's a 3 minute track.

Please fellow musos, help me!

You need to tell us what your vocal chain's like (mic, preamp, mixer, soundcard)...it's somewhere there where your problem lies.

Ok...the hissing sound can be muffled out be changing up your frequencies. Thought you might already have your vocals eqed the way you want them. It also could be fixed with what the other guy said. I found that a good compressor can dampen the hissing too. I too do not record in a booth. I do my recording in an empty room with 5 walls with nothing but my cpu, speakers, mic, keyboard etc.

Your recording problem...i'm not sure. It could be a simple mistake like you forgetting to arm and dirarm the right tracks before you start recording. If you're saying that you are able to hear the recording from 2 on track 3 with your track three recording then maybe you need studio headphones. I actually don't use studio headphones yet.

And your last problem could be another simple mistake which is one everyone has done I'm sure. When you mixdown your audio and export it...make sure before hand that nothing in your recording is highlighted. I'm betting that you keep exporting with a section of your audio highlighted and only mixdown that part. You can aslo try saving it as a different type of file.
And you can try mixing down with lower bits/sec or whatever it is so it mixes down slower.

Thanks guys,

You are right when you say it's the preamp. I have just hooked up a mic preamp, and i'm yet to find out if it makes a diffence. Does Cubase have a compressor?

a compressor will not solve your problem... if anything, compressing it will make the noise more prominent.

sthiza said:
the thing i want to remove all the hissing and air noise behind. I have tried using noise gate, reverb A withno luck. the room that i'm using is noiseless.

If your room you are recording in is actually noisless, like you say, then you should not be getting any air noise in your signal.

In that case, the noise must be hiss coming from something in your recording chain (as was already mentioned.) I don't know what equipment you are using, but I would be willing to bet that is contributing to your problem.

Check your recording levels. Make sure you are recording at a high enough level (without clipping) because is your recording level is too low, you will have a higher noise floor. There will always be some noise in your track, but the trick is to keep the room as quiet as possible, record at the optimal level (as loud/high as possible), eq out whatever noise you can without negatively affecting your audio. If you record too low, you will need have the track level higher so you can hear it, and by doing this you will be raising the underlying noise. Record high then bring the level down in the mix and you will also be bringing that underlying noise down in the process. You will end up with a track that is the same volume, but the noise is lower in the mix.

...i know i was kinda' rambling so i hope that all makes sense. :)

Oh, and neither a noise gate nor a reverb will help... a noise gate will remove noise in the silent sections but will not remove noise behind your tracks... basically, a gate just cuts the signal below a certain level, but with digital recording, you are better off just cutting out unwanted sections, anyway.

And a reverb certainly will not help you... all that will do is make your noisy track sound like it is in a big room...

Back