Creating Guitar Strum in Cubase

Does anyone know of a pluging that will allow cubase to create the offset that creates a guitar strum sound in cubase. As you know if you play all the notes in a chord at the same time it doesn't sound realistic. I know FL studio has the strum plugin but havent seen anything for cubase.

There's this VSTi 'Real Guitarist' but quite pricey for what it is I reckon.

But it's actually really easy to simulate strum in the piano roll. Just nudge each note of the chords a few ticks to the right until you end up with a very steep staircase looking chord.

A bit lengthy but worth it if you've got nothing else at hand.

easy
B#

You know I was actually thinking of doing it manually like you said. I bet it would be time comsuming and frustrating but I guess you wont know if you dont try. I think I saw real guitarist and from what I saw its for Cubase VST and I have Cubase SX2. These software GURUS need to get on the ball. Anyway thanks for the reply.

I've found that quantizing each note to be 1/64 after the next creates a realistic strum. Although i've only tried it in reason but it should give the same result in Cubase.

chizzbeats said:
I think I saw real guitarist and from what I saw its for Cubase VST and I have Cubase SX2.
The version I've seen ran on SX without a problem. But keep in mind it works with its own guitar sounds and the 'strum factor' is an internal parametre inside the plug itself. It can not generate strummed MIDI tracks or transform your MIDI chords into strummed MIDI tracks.

BTW if you want to try the manual method, you'll get a more authentic result if you slightly vary the spaces between the notes randomly for each strum.

Depending on the complexity of the song it's really not that tedious I reckon.

easy
B#

Hey this is great feedback. I'm going to have to try moving of notes up 1/64th, that makes good sense. Just goes to show you there are always alternatives. Thanks !!!

chizzbeats said:
Hey this is great feedback. I'm going to have to try moving of notes up 1/64th, that makes good sense. Just goes to show you there are always alternatives. Thanks !!!

yeah definitely, that approach should do it.

Another thing if you really want an even more realistic feel, try altering the volume of each note slightly differently from the others for a more natural strum. When you strum a guitar in real life, you you dont hit the strings with the same force.

Equing the notes differently will also make it even more realistic, cause thiner stings have more of a hiss to them also.

Good Luck!

I never got a brilliant sound trying to program it, it takes sooo long to adjust every parameter for every strum and rarely sounds great in the end, I'd say do one of three things...

use samples of chords being strummed

record it being played live by someone

get the steinberg virtual guitarist vsti, it has great strumming sounds, only need a player now from guitar solos or whatever... the sounds are really good

Hey just an FYI for you guys, I like Cubase a lot and hate to go thru and learn all the ins and outs of FL Studio but heres another solution I came up with. Use the Strum tool in FL Studio, export that track to WAV and imort into cubase project and done deal. Thats a little workaround I just tried recently.

Back