Creating Basslines (Bassline House, 4x4, House, Dubstep)

That's it. The kick in house music usually plays 4 kicks in the bar.

I've listened to Billie jean and the hats come in immediately with 8's and then a shaker plays the same later on with 8's too.

Even easier is when you look at things on a quantization grid in your DAW. At the moment I'm doing snare fills with 32nd notes; it sounds like a buzzing bee.

It's not much to learn really. A book for reference is good or you can just search the internet for stuff you want to learn.

EP

Learn to mix/DJ and you'll understand alot more about the structure of music. Everyone I teach to produce get's stuck on the structure of music so I usually teach them to DJ aswell. From experience it helps.

I have been producing bassline for a lil while now but i wud give one really big tip.... always add reverb!!! even if its only a bit but all the big boys in the niche/4x4/bassline(wateva u wanna call it lol) use reverb on their basses... all i gta work on now r the patches for subtractors... shud clock dem soon tho got some of dem lol but if any1 want to be generous send me a message lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Basis_T said:
I have been producing bassline for a lil while now but i wud give one really big tip.... always add reverb!!! even if its only a bit but all the big boys in the niche/4x4/bassline(wateva u wanna call it lol) use reverb on their basses... all i gta work on now r the patches for subtractors... shud clock dem soon tho got some of dem lol but if any1 want to be generous send me a message lol!!!

There is Reverb on those Basses, he he. I think it helps to fatten them up in a track and fill out more space (if you know what I mean).

You should never ALWAYS add reverb to basses. You normally want the bass to be solid in the mix and reverb can make it less so.

If you do decide to add reverb to the bass there must be a good reason for this and it is usually only a small amount.

Might be good to ask about this in the mixing section.

EP

:bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat:
I've included 4 different variations using the same bassline sounds. Does this sort of sound along the right lines?

It's crazy, sample based production I am good with. When it comes to composing it's a little different. Harder infact.

:sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing::sing:

Back