That crazy Prodigy sound!!!!

G

Ghost2424

First off im a huge Liam Howlett fan. I've been tryin sooo hard to get his type of crazy energy into my songs but im commin up short. I want my music to be like... when you hear it you just gotta go crazy. Music is a powerful tool to show emotion through it and I need help tryin to put energy into it. Pleaseeee help me out. Thanx.

Maybe try to recreate some Prodigy songs using the equipment you have. You may learn a lot from that alone.

There's nothing I can type that will help you get a "feel" into your music. It just takes practice.

Ghost2424 said:
First off im a huge Liam Howlett fan. I've been tryin sooo hard to get his type of crazy energy into my songs but im commin up short. I want my music to be like... when you hear it you just gotta go crazy. Music is a powerful tool to show emotion through it and I need help tryin to put energy into it. Pleaseeee help me out. Thanx.

I too am a huge fan of Prodigy.Unfortunately I'm no closer than you.He's quite the brilliant producer.He can take cheap synths and turn out powerhouse tunes with them.

Thats the thing, in one of his interviews he say's he used the MicroKorg to compose some of his tracks...i think he used it in Girls and Spitfire. Hearing that made me go right out and buy it. I have been studying everything he has done...and a lot of it comes from his drums. I know he uses a lot of breaks but what I want to know is do you just slice up the break and use each individual snare, bass drum, ect...or do you leave it looped and work off of that? I can't tell how he does it he's a genius.

It sounds like most of the time he chops the breaks into sections (partial loops if you will).

Let's say a bar in a break is 4 beats long... if you chop each individual beat, you have 4 samples. You can then rearrange them and make a new beat.

BigRyan said:
It sounds like most of the time he chops the breaks into sections (partial loops if you will).

Let's say a bar in a break is 4 beats long... if you chop each individual beat, you have 4 samples. You can then rearrange them and make a new beat.

Very true,Liam does alot of sampling on breaks.Chops them up rearranges them,and then puts his own beats overtop it.He does alot of clever layering.

Some tricks come down to distortion,compression,multi-band compression,EQ,effects....he does alot to his beats

I too have a microKorg ghost,but I haven't really tried replicating his sounds yet.Just working on my skills with subtractive synthesis :)

Would you just suggest getting a breakbeat sample CD?? I wasn't too impressed with one of the CD's I got so im a little aprehensive about getting another...the MicroKorg is bad ive got the deep synth in girls down to a "T" for the price it is a very powerful synth. Go to the Korg website there's a software program that let's you edit the sounds. I got their live DVD and he plays it live too so it has great potential.

i agree with the guys about the distortion and stuff he puts breaks and lead synths through them, I dare say he's updated now but he used to do his beats on cubase, he took a few of his breaks from ultramagnetic mc's and layered other sounds over the top, like a 909 or 808 kick drum to give it more balls.

Another thing that I'm sure you realise already is that a good mastering engineer can put another 6-8db on a track.

ps!

Me and my pal just got a wicked sound by putting a loop through the amplitube plug in.

Ghost2424 said:
Would you just suggest getting a breakbeat sample CD?? I wasn't too impressed with one of the CD's I got so im a little aprehensive about getting another...the MicroKorg is bad ive got the deep synth in girls down to a "T" for the price it is a very powerful synth. Go to the Korg website there's a software program that let's you edit the sounds. I got their live DVD and he plays it live too so it has great potential.

You can get more sample cd's sure.Make sure they are things you want though,by that I mean don't run out and buy a sample cd full of pop music samples for you to use if you're looking for something with breaks.

Best bet is to do some research,look into all the sample cds out there and see if you can get a preview.Look for a cd that meets your needs.

From there it's all about experimentation.Each big name producer out there with the likes of Prodigy have earned their respect from their own ways of production.So spend as much time as you can on each piece of your work..beats,bass,lead synth,etc work on each one as much as you can and work up your skills.

Liam's got almost 20 years of experience (he was in a hip-hop band Cut 2 Kill before he formed Prodigy)

Good luck :D

How much would it cost to get my stuff mastered by a pro and what can they do that I can't. I have most of the plugins in pro tools like compression, EQ and so on. When i listen it sounds like the way they position the sounds is different. what i mean by that is it sounds like they caqn position the sounds like if it was in 3D space...it's hard to explain put if there is a way to do this without a studio please let me know b/c im poor and really don't wanna pay an engineer to do my work. But i agree mastering is one of the main tools in the way it sounds.

Back