composition producers have no skill...

chiragkotak said:
thats like saying...the people that make the stuff I USE..have no skill..
who do u thing makes the samplesa etc that u use so skillfully??
Not sure if this was in responce to my post, but you can't make no DJ Scratches, a real guitar riff, sound FX like gunshots/cars crashing, or a live gospel choir on a Korg, Fantom or Motif, fam.

Those come from real sources. Even if you talking Eastwest or Giga Libraries, those are obviously samples. They just royalty free ones like what's found in Acid or Garageband.

And trust me, ain't nothing in an Acid or Garageband loop I can't play over backwards blinfolded.

I sample for the essence. Try making classics like "Shook Ones" by Mobb Deep from scratch. I can play it key for key. It comes out sounding like a casio demo nomatter how good the sounds you got are. Better than that, try replaying "my world is empty" by the supremes.

If you talking live instruments, cool, but ain't no keyboard workstation capturing that authenticity.

i havn't sample melodies because i dont know how and i like composing my own stuff

i find it easier to just compose everything, i use reason so that might be the reason why

The reason to sample is not a lack of melodies or anything like that for most producers I think. Its to take something and turn it into something else, as a tribute to old songs and records that has influenced all music today, and to bring it into todays music. And as deranged says to get the authenticity out of the samples.

One shot layered drums will never sound as good as a real drummers beat. same with all samples. Unless you have a pro guitar, bass, trumpet, drum etc etc player with you when making all your tunes you gotta sample for that authentic feeling.

Making a tune, writing a song, with chords melody etc. Is one thing. Getting a specific vibe out of it is another. And getting an authentic instrument, "live sounding", vibe out of it you must sample (unless you do infact have a whole band playing all instruments you wanna use).

Also who says you have to either compose or sample? I think a lot of producers do both.

And there is definitely skill in both aspects of it.

Here are two youtube clips for you guys showing of 2 100% sampled songs. But there is definitely creativity going on here and I'm sure it requires as much skill as composing a standard song "from scratch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbFIGFv4GLQ Kid kola - Drunk trumpet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeQoXZnK8M Hexstatic - Deadly media

Puts skill in another perspective I think, whether you like the tunes posted or not.

And while we are at it another really nice movie of my favorite artist at the moment, nothing here he really made himself, but intelligent and skillful? I'd say so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKZP1Mfydo Hexstatic - Killer Boots Video mash up.

Last edited:
Mr.Bytch Killa said:
I dont like to sample shyt....I straight compose from beginning to end....

Im Creative...Are You?....or do you need some sample to make yo sounds funky....

Elevate Yo Game....Compose Yo Sounds....Make A Classic...Be Original....Make Niggaz wanna sample yo shyt....

BKster

You can't even talk about making classics and talk down on sampling in the same comment. Thats an oxymoron. Hopefully you talking about pop music.

Anybody notice successful producers Timbo and Pharrell never talk down on sampling? Its always n!ggas that haven't really done anything.

Just make great music, no matter how - if you can stand behind what you've done, there's no problem anywhere, be it sampled or made from scratch.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I can't comment on "Composition Producers". But I will say, I'll take a sampler over a keyboard. But why take just 1? You can use samples and still "compose". You can make beats from scratch and give them liveliness from real guitars and other instruments.

I can tell you this tho. I hate keyboard based producers who think they have an advantage on sample based producers because they make their music "from scratch", if their end result is a 3 note melody that sounds like it came off a $99 Casio. I hate sample based producers who make 4-8 count loops that have no transitions or breakdowns that give sampling a bad name.

Most people who argue on either side of this redundant argument fall in these categories, they're too busy arguing to realize everyone from Madonna to Britney Spears to James Brown to Rick James has sampled to give their music the extra touch it needed when it needed it, and if your composed from scratch sh*t don't hold up to their composed from scratch sh*t, maybe you should throw in a loop or 2 yourself.

Just make hot music. Nobody gives a f**k how it's done except button pressing nerds who proclaim themselves as "producers".

Could'nt have said it better:cheers:

Scratch n Beat said:
You can't even talk about making classics and talk down on sampling in the same comment. Thats an oxymoron. Hopefully you talking about pop music.

Anybody notice successful producers Timbo and Pharrell never talk down on sampling? Its always n!ggas that haven't really done anything.

Cause Timbo and Pharrell sample :D

Its just doesnt stand out like other samples in other beats.

lots of folks will say its not hip hop if its not sample based. not saying thats my philosophy because i do both, just thought i'd offer that thought.

Back