composition producers have no skill...

Ak-Nolij said:
If anything, I only take account for using a 4/4, not only that, I've had ideas about chords(see "Versinity" in my MySpace). Other than that, saying I'm not creative enough to come up with my own works is really jumping the shark.

Perhaps you're right.

And about those who think Hip Hop takes no talent, I'm very familiar with those types of people.
See, you're thinking cup half empty. I'm not saying "your not creative enough", the total opposite. Anyone who makes music that people enjoy are showing enough talent, nomatter how it's made. The same that can be said by anyone negatively about one man's art can be said just as easily about the one giving critiques by another.

Just make hot music!!!:cheers:

People on here argue about everything, I say a sampling producer is not stealing as long as he COMPOSES the sample differently than the original therefore he is a COMPOSER and a compisition based Producer is Sometimes a Sampler because he is SAMPLING chords and theory unless he is coming up with never before heard Chords and scales lol. I feel like someone else said Just Make Hot Music and stop getting stuck on titles and crap then take that energy and step yo game up.

THE ARkiTech said:
a compisition based Producer is Sometimes a Sampler because he is SAMPLING chords and theory unless he is coming up with never before heard Chords and scales lol.

This is a made-up argument if anything but other than that, you make a point (that's been made a hundred times before, mind you); there should be no division between "composers" and "samplers" - and there isn't, it's just another made-up compartmentalization that no-one outside the world of insecure hiphop teens seems to use.

Just make good music and be true to yourself, don't make compromises and everything will eventually fall in place.

WOW!!! Your right! All my classical piano training has meant nothing :monkey:

--Thundertrax

Lux said:
WOW!!! Your right! All my classical piano training has meant nothing :monkey:

--Thundertrax
Like you're the only one with classical background. Stop assuming you have any advantage or any more knowhow than the next man and just make hot music.

I've heard tons of tracks from classically trained musicians that are outdone by tracks made on nothing but an MPC and Vice Versa. It's human nature to think your way's better. It's not....

So in actuality, yeah, your training means nothing. All that matters is how hot the finished beat is.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Like you're the only one with classical background. Stop assuming you have any advantage or any more knowhow than the next man and just make hot music.

I've heard tons of tracks from classically trained musicians that are outdone by tracks made on nothing but an MPC and Vice Versa. It's human nature to think your way's better. It's not....

So in actuality, yeah, your training means nothing. All that matters is how hot the finished beat is.

I didnt say any of that homie! YOU did the ASSuming, lol :monkey:

Thank you,

Juan"THUNDERTRAX"Luxo

Just end this Thread There is No point in going back and Forth whats the point of putting Titles on **** that Doesnt Matter; Tell how this made u a better producer today,I thought this site was about Networking and Creating a Healthy Community within This Thing Most of us love which is Music by helping each otha but All I've Been seeing lately is Arguing and Cats Hatin on each other get ova all the BS and get yo **** 2gether And Remember "You Can't Climb Your ladder if you always pullin at anotha nigs ankles"

Lux said:
I didnt say any of that homie! YOU did the ASSuming, lol :monkey:

Thank you,

Juan"THUNDERTRAX"Luxo
Respect.

The dancing monkey on all your posts makes me ASSume there was secondary meaning behind it.

If not, I apologize. :cheers:

clever username said:
If there werent artists who composed original music,there would be nothing to sample..........
And that my friend is the post that won the arguement (if there ever was one.)

I will say sampling does require talent, but I honestly have less respect for samplers than I do for beat writers.

Both styles require skill and talent but honestly if you cant write your own **** and need to sample someone else your just as good as the dude who can chop up a lyric from an acapella and turn it into a hot chorus. I know a lot of you will disagree but really, not writing your own **** (sampling) is easier than composing.

Im not saying its easier to make a composed beat versus a sampled beat, OR VICE VERSA, its just easier NOT to write your own ****. When you sample its harder to mix up the chop you got and make it seamless, flawless, and more original. But when you write your own ****, it is easier to make it seamless, flawless, and more original. I mean we can all throw on a kick, hat, and snare, etc. to the beat. But however we get our patterns and hooks or whatever, sampled or composed, both have the tradeoff between whats easy and whats hard. So to all the samplers that hate on composer, **** YOU. And, to all the composers that hate on the samplers, **** YOU. I think both styles are dope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent the best part of my life mastering the guitar. I studied everything from hardcore Flamenco to progressive Jazz. Years of Music theory, Composition, Music History, Popular music studies, played in Salsa bands, Jazz bands, rock bands, Blues etc.
My immersion in music has always been complete. I have composed for major artist and was very proud of it all. 6 years ago I was invited to play guitar for some “hip-hop” experimental project.
I walked into a room that had a simple Yamaha mixer an MPC (which at the time was Chinese to me), walls of Vinyl, a simple ADAT and a 22 year old kid slouched over a turntable bobbing his head to something coming out of his half off headphones..
After talking to this kid for 4 hours straight about ALL kinds of music I was at a loss. I had never seen so much passion, dedication and knowledge from someone that had NO music theory training NONE, ZIP NADA.
He then proceeded to shoe me what he had in mind. He showed me what he had done with some old JFK speeches on his MPC, he showed off his amazing tuntablelizm skills, (he later toured withLimp Bizkit”) then proceeded to work on some of the most innovative and inspiring music that I have ever been exposed to, most of it sample based. I was literally blown away. I have never felt so outdone. My only saving grace is that he was equally as impressed with my skills. We fed off each others ideas and passion for music. It had nothing to do with the instrument or sound we chose to express our creativity. It had to do with the fact that we are here to create what we can with what we have, simply because we are genetically predisposed to being what we are, “Artists”. There will always be good hip-hop and bad reggaeton, just like there will always be bad classical and good trance. Everything has it’s art form and it is up to us to pay our dues to achieve art form status and appreciate it as such……. Not to overkill what has already been determined here but, if it’s good it’s good. “The ends justify the means”.

balls.

I'm sorry, but if you're not big into composition, and are strictly sample, then that automatically knocks you down a creative step. It's just fact.
It's harder and requires more effort and creativity to create an original song, even if it needs improvement. Sampling's all good, but c'mon now, it's just rearranging and mastering bits of other artists' work and creativity.

i dont want to spark an argument.. i do both i compose and sample and in hip hop there has been no composed classics!!!! i dont think there ever will be... you know why? nowadays there is no SOUl when composing everyone has gone digital and depend on computers.. my 2 cents!

Waste16Pads said:
i dont want to spark an argument.. i do both i compose and sample and in hip hop there has been no composed classics!!!! i dont think there ever will be... you know why? nowadays there is no SOUl when composing everyone has gone digital and depend on computers.. my 2 cents!
Agreed. But for the record Korgs, Motifs, and MPCs are all computers too.

Until I have access to all the live instruments I need, I rely on samples to give my music liveliness. Even when composing, sometimes I need that drumloop to add grit, or some record scratches(I don't make my own, I use premade scratch loops). IMO Adding a sample to a made from scratch track to add character is no different than plugging up a guitar or hopping behind live drums to do the same.

There's a million ways to sample.

thats like saying...the people that make the stuff I USE..have no skill..
who do u thing makes the samplesa etc that u use so skillfully??

ha, ha, ha, this sit is always going on huh...but lets just start sampling is fun it's easier...composing much more harder to some because you can spend 5 minutes just getting a 4 measure sequence just right...alot of you seem to like to have your beats done in five minutes.....lol

but to tell you the truth i get more satisfaction out of trying to compose....and the way alot of you sample you're nothing more then a glorified dj.

sure my yamaha or my korg contain samples of instruments, but they are supposed to be used as the building blocks.

now legally you need permission from the peron or person's who owns the rights to the sample or original, and to me if you have to get permission then the concept isn't totally original.....plus i'ma go as far as saying that sampling is the musical equalivent of plagerism

Back