Composing Soul Music

Ch0p

Malcolm Smalls
Well first question.. Did many of the soul bands actually know how to read music and all that? I'm guessing a lot of them came from poverty stricken places and I was wondering if they actually wrote and read notes or did they play by ear until they found a rhythm they liked? I'm studying music theory right now and learning how to play piano by myself because I want to recreate soul music, to sample or even sing to. I'm reading a lot about soul music coming from Jazz and Blues backgrounds, So would learning about jazz and blues music theory help me or what? I want to do this all on a piano and I'm guessing if I know the theory and all I can atleast do the rhythms out and make it sound good even if i don't have professional sounds.

Just becuase a lot of the greats may have been poverty stricken as you say, it doesn't mean their understanding of theory was any less than people with higher education.

Yes I think learning some basic jazz theory would help a lot. Learn the II V I progression, then try and apply that in every key. Eventually you will build up a good bunch of chord progressions that you can apply with stuff you already know.

Ch0p said:
Well first question.. Did many of the soul bands actually know how to read music and all that? I'm guessing a lot of them came from poverty stricken places and I was wondering if they actually wrote and read notes or did they play by ear until they found a rhythm they liked? I'm studying music theory right now and learning how to play piano by myself because I want to recreate soul music, to sample or even sing to. I'm reading a lot about soul music coming from Jazz and Blues backgrounds, So would learning about jazz and blues music theory help me or what? I want to do this all on a piano and I'm guessing if I know the theory and all I can atleast do the rhythms out and make it sound good even if i don't have professional sounds.

Many "poverty stricken" African Americans were very skilled at writing and reading music and understanding such things such as counter point, etc. Look at such writers as Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, etc.

Actually soul comes more from rhythm & blues (which in turn is from jazz and sped up blues) and gospel and gained popularity during the 60's.

Naturually you can do all of these things on nothing more than a piano.
I would start off buy learning
1. Chords
2. Simple riffs and/or licks
3. Minor and blues scales

I agree with the previous folks and would add that Soul music also has something else.... that intangible thing that ran thru the experiences of many of the poor and working class Black folks who developed it.

Clearly, if it was just about reading and writng notes, somebody else, maybe in Germany or Sweden woud have developed Soul music long before it actually came along. Like any food, certain ingredients and certain temperature creates a particular meal.

So, not only should you do some reading, but maybe some playing with Soul musicians or Gospel folks or a Blues band may be hepful too.

Peace and good luck...and no disrespect intended.

It's a known fact that one hour with a pro player can do you more good than a whole year in a book. So if you ever get the chance to get some tips off a real player, do it!!

Some_Jazz said:
Yes I think learning some basic jazz theory would help a lot. Learn the II V I progression, then try and apply that in every key. Eventually you will build up a good bunch of chord progressions that you can apply with stuff you already know.
pardon my ignorance, but is the II really supposed to be a major chord in this progression?

Ch0p said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_Brothers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stax_Records

Back