Common Scales and Chords Found In Today's and Yesterday's Music

Destinationup

Ever since I was a little kid I would always just be banging on my keyboard with my own little melody going in my head. I have now taking beginning piano lessons in college and have learned how to read most things that would appear on sheet music. Now I would like to know what were the scales and chords that were used/played in some of my favorite music. One song is by Aaliyah "The One I Gave My Heart Too". I do not have the aural skills unfortunately but I would love to know what were the scales and chords used in this song. I was hoping that one of the many talented people on this forum could help me figure it out. Here is a link just in case you have lived under a rock for the past 12+ years and do not know who Aaliyah lol just kidding. Aaliyah - The One I Gave My Heart To - YouTube Also what about most of the trap we hear today,would anybody know the most popular scales that trap music is played in? I myself believe that the scales have to be very similar if a lot people just like myself think it's the same right? Well I know all trap is not the same but most of it is because there are more copycats than trendsetters in the game. I'll post another song I would like to know later.

Although theres ****loads of scales out there, most music we listen to in the western world is made from the major and minor scales (also known as the Ionian and Aeolian modes). Modes (fancy word often used instead of scales) like dorian and mixolydian pop up often in jazz and blues. Older kinds of traditional spanish/latino/middle eastern music tends to use Phrygian, Phrygian Dominant and Harmonic Minor (these are ****ing awesome for giving your tunes a proper spicy, dark sound).

I don't know much about trap music but I think the minor scales a pretty safe bet for most of it, but don't hold me to that.

If your looking to learn about this stuff, a good starting point is learning how to harmonise (that means build chords from) a major and minor scale. If your after the chords to a specific song, googling guitar chordsheets/tabs is often a good bet but beware, just cos someone put it on the internet doesn't mean its gonna be correct. You've just gotta learn to use and follow your ears with this stuff.

All this might seem ****ing daunting and its the proper nerdy side of music, but trust me if you learn all this stuff you'll be glad you did it and it'll change the way you look at and write your beats.

Although theres ****loads of scales out there, most music we listen to in the western world is made from the major and minor scales (also known as the Ionian and Aeolian modes). Modes (fancy word often used instead of scales) like dorian and mixolydian pop up often in jazz and blues. Older kinds of traditional spanish/latino/middle eastern music tends to use Phrygian, Phrygian Dominant and Harmonic Minor (these are ****ing awesome for giving your tunes a proper spicy, dark sound).

I don't know much about trap music but I think the minor scales a pretty safe bet for most of it, but don't hold me to that.

If your looking to learn about this stuff, a good starting point is learning how to harmonise (that means build chords from) a major and minor scale. If your after the chords to a specific song, googling guitar chordsheets/tabs is often a good bet but beware, just cos someone put it on the internet doesn't mean its gonna be correct. You've just gotta learn to use and follow your ears with this stuff.

All this might seem ****ing daunting and its the proper nerdy side of music, but trust me if you learn all this stuff you'll be glad you did it and it'll change the way you look at and write your beats.

Yea I think most trap melodies are in the minor scale. I think I tried it in a major scale I think the closest someone could get is with the c major scale, not possible with a major tried that it sounded more like rock and hip hop mixed. In your 3rd paragraph are you referring to building chord progressions? If so I did look up I IV and V chord pattern and I finally know what those are referring to I haven't practiced that since my class ended. When doing this the I chord is the first and last chord in a progression right? or whatever chord I start with using any other pattern right?

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Yea he really knows his music, I think I'll ask him to come view this post.

I'll drop by when i can - I am really unwell (sever stomach virus, pain and vomiting for the last two days)

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

One song is by Aaliyah "The One I Gave My Heart Too". I do not have the aural skills unfortunately but I would love to know what were the scales and chords used in this song.

I will come back to this tomorrow when I can sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time stomach still feels like there is a little alien trying to escape every few minutes

Also what about most of the trap we hear today,would anybody know the most popular scales that trap music is played in? I myself believe that the scales have to be very similar if a lot people just like myself think it's the same right? Well I know all trap is not the same but most of it is because there are more copycats than trendsetters in the game. I'll post another song I would like to know later.

See these threads for an extended discussion of chords and scales in trap and related music

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rockos-goin-steady-plies-plenny-money-370670/

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ommonly-used-progression-368407/#post49128262

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/music-genres/rap-hip-hop-r-b/trap-chords-370101/#post49140587

there is another thread on Tyler the creator's "Ass milk" and the scales and chords used in that, which may further enlighten - the database search was taking way too long......

I have to challenge your use of the phrase "fancy word often used instead of scales" This only shows that you have yet to assimilate the differences between a scale and the modes of that scale. A mode is a point of departure that brings with it the chords of the parent scale but then applies new rules to how those chords are used in creating harmonies and cadences. It also changes the relationship between scale tones and has a marked impact on the way in which the tendency tones (scale tones 4 and 7 in the original major scale) behave in constructing melodies.

As for the modes that you do mention, they are constructed as follows
Modescale-tone sequenceExample in CParent scale
Ionian1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8C-D-E-F-G-A-B-CC major
Aeolian1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-CE[sup]b[/sup] major
Dorian1-2-[sup]b[/sup]-4-5-6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A-B[sup]b[/sup]-CB[sup]b[/sup] Minor
Mixolydian1-2-3-4-5-6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D-E-F-G-A-B[sup]b[/sup]-CF major
Phrygian1-[sup]b[/sup]2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-CA[sup]b[/sup] major
Phrygian Dominant1-[sup]b[/sup]2-3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-CF harmonic minor
Harmonic Minor1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-7-8C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B-CC harmonic minor

Yea I think most trap melodies are in the minor scale. I think I tried it in a major scale I think the closest someone could get is with the c major scale, not possible with a major tried that it sounded more like rock and hip hop mixed. In your 3rd paragraph are you referring to building chord progressions? If so I did look up I IV and V chord pattern and I finally know what those are referring to I haven't practiced that since my class ended. When doing this the I chord is the first and last chord in a progression right? or whatever chord I start with using any other pattern right?

This needs more time for me to construct a meaningful answer......

Last edited:
I'll drop by when i can - I am really unwell (sever stomach virus, pain and vomiting for the last two days)

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 AM ----------

I will come back to this tomorrow when I can sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time stomach still feels like there is a little alien trying to escape every few minutes

See these threads for an extended discussion of chords and scales in trap and related music

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rockos-goin-steady-plies-plenny-money-370670/

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ommonly-used-progression-368407/#post49128262

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/music-genres/rap-hip-hop-r-b/trap-chords-370101/#post49140587

there is another thread on Tyler the creator's "Ass milk" and the scales and chords used in that, which may further enlighten - the database search was taking way too long......

I have to challenge your use of the phrase "fancy word often used instead of scales" This only shows that you have yet to assimilate the differences between a scale and the modes of that scale. A mode is a point of departure that brings with it the chords of the parent scale but then applies new rules to how those chords are used in creating harmonies and cadences. It also changes the relationship between scale tones and has a marked impact on the way in which the tendency tones (scale tones 4 and 7 in the original major scale) behave in constructing melodies.

Mode
scale-tone sequence
Example in C
Ionian
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
Aeolian
1-2-[SUP]b[/SUP]3-4-5-[SUP]b[/SUP]6-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-8
C-D-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C
Dorian
1-2-[SUP]b[/SUP]-4-5-6-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-8
C-D-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G-A-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C
Mixolydian
1-2-3-4-5-6-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-8
C-D-E-F-G-A-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C
Phrygian
1-[SUP]b[/SUP]2-[SUP]b[/SUP]3-4-5-[SUP]b[/SUP]6-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-8
C-D[SUP]b[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C
Phrygian Dominant
1-[SUP]b[/SUP]2-3-4-5-[SUP]b[/SUP]6-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-8
C-D[SUP]b[/SUP]-E-F-G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-C
Harmonic Minor
1-2-[SUP]b[/SUP]3-4-5-[SUP]b[/SUP]6-7-8
C-D-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-G-A[SUP]b[/SUP]-B-C

This needs more time for me to construct a meaningful answer......
no problem take your time, I am in no rush. I can't rush learning or it will be just memorization that will be forgotten later on.

Fixed the table that can no longer be edited....

Modescale-tone sequenceExample in CParent scale
Ionian1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8C-D-E-F-G-A-B-CC major
Aeolian1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-CC major
Dorian1-2-[sup]b[/sup]-4-5-6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A-B[sup]b[/sup]-CB[sup]b[/sup] Major
Mixolydian1-2-3-4-5-6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D-E-F-G-A-B[sup]b[/sup]-CF major
Phrygian1-[sup]b[/sup]2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-CA[sup]b[/sup] major
Phrygian Dominant1-[sup]b[/sup]2-3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-CF harmonic minor
Harmonic Minor1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-7-8C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B-CC harmonic minor

Back