Chords and scales and music theory

nervecell

When you want to get into composing your own shit, you just have to learn how to play the piano and the scales / chords right?

Like you don't have to study music theory in depth, just understand chords and scales?

Cause I think some producers like boi 1da don't know music theory yet compose their own music so i think just understanding what the scales and chords are would be good enough

Never hurts to know.

Complete idiots guide is good.

Also try the following set of tutorials, more on the way as I find time to write, record and post them.

I think it's enough just to know OF scales and chords. You don't really need to know the exact ones, just what they are, what they mean, and how they can interact. You will notice that you have been using the same ideas all along it's just technically quantified in music theory.

It's pretty helpful to know about intervals though, from a synthesis perspective. And learning the difference between major and minor is pretty easy.

I think im going to have to learn ALL music theory because I want to go to university for music...damn this is going to be a lot of learning

If you want to compose music it is not neccessary to learn anything. Learning an instrument and a few chords is usually a good way to start though. (not neccessary to know scales at all.)

You don't need to study music theory to compose, indeed it can be a bad thing to clog your mind up with mechanics too much.

It was a surprise in the 60's when so many people came out with such great music without knowing much music theory, it shouldn't be a surprise today.

Decide what you think is the best way for you to compose music. It's really a personal choice and there is no set way to go about this. The main thing is to come out with the best music you are capable of and it doesn't really matter how you do this.

EP

However, OP has said they will be going to university to study music anyway, so learning theory is a given.

It actually wasn't that big a surprise when you look closely at the people concerned. McCartney had piano lessons as a boy and was familiar with the structures of Tin Pan Alley songs before he took up guitar and then bass - in fact in the early days of the Beatles playing the German club scene, he would as often as not play piano.

The Byrds (at least McGuin and Maguire) were keenly interested in playing Bach and so worked hard at copying the polyphony and harmonic content they could.

Most of the keyboard players working with groups in the 60's had a background in traditional piano technique, so were grounded in theory, harmony and composition to begin with.

read their stories/watch their stories and you will be surprised at thow unsurprising it actually was. The big difference in the 60's was that the singer was no longer king - the group that played the instruments also sang and mostly wrote their own music, so songwriters who were second tier were relegated to the third or fourth tier of the heirarchy that was developing around pop music.

BC

Not exactly music degrees and deep study you're talking about Bandcoach. :)

I've already posted a lot about this subject so I can't be bothered going into it again. I do think it is important to keep reminding people that music theory is not the only way though; it's just one way out of many.

EP

Not exactly music degrees and deep study you're talking about Bandcoach. :)

No, but you seem intent on minimising the study they did do. Also, any keyboardist he completed grades above level 6 or so did the equivalent work to someone in second year college music courses

I've already posted a lot about this subject so I can't be bothered going into it again. I do think it is important to keep reminding people that music theory is not the only way though; it's just one way out of many.

EP

A little condescending there, huh???

Remember that just because someone has minimal posts does not mean they have minimal experience. I have over 30 years experience in the filed and think that it is important to have tools such as theory at your disposal. I have also spent a lot of time teaching the tools as well as pop music history.

I am not disputing your right to have an opinion, only that you need to accept others may have a contrary opinion and deserve to have it heard also.

Back