chords and progressions used in hip hop.

dksucharda

I watch you tube videos of producers and artists making beats using a midi controller, and they are definitely "playing" the piano and using chords and progressions. So, obviously you have to know a little piano and theory, however the chords and they way they are played are relatively simple. But you still have to know which chord progressions work for hip hop music. Without learning a lot of theory I dont need immediately, are there any suggestions of types of chords that will give me the sound that goes with hip hop. Or even a website on how hip hop melodies are broken down and progress. Ultimately I am not opposed to learning all sorts of theory, but to focus my efforts on the "right" chords to produce commonly recognized hip hop sounds and progressions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You have the wrong attitude to this issue: you need to learn all chord types to even have a chance of understanding this.

To do this you are going to need to learn something about pitch (how to name notes) and how to construct chords. This means that you need to engage with learning theory now not at some distant unknown point in the future - tomorrow never comes, so work at what you want to know today.

Being a professional in any discipline means two things: you can set your own fees/prices and that you have an ongoing commitment to learning in your discipline. You will not be able to do the first (at least not for long) if you have not put the hours on the second: your clients/customers will quickly realise that you know nothing and care less about learning what you need to know to service their needs. End result - they will not come back to you for further work - you will end up going bankrupt.

As for typical chord progressions, how about using the search function first?

Use advanced search and use the following search terms: chord progression

Also use the posts by field and enter my username: bandcoach

This will bring up many threads addressing your issues including the typical progressions found in trap, and old-school rap.

It will also bring up threads where I have transcribed the chords from different songs.

Geez bandcoach. It seems like every post I place you are right there with answers. Its like you are following me. Just kidding. Thanks for all the good advice. I am working on my theory. I started playing violin at age 3 and played until I was about 25 while in college. I am now 41 years old with two daughters and a demanding medical job. I do not plan to be the next Jay-z or Timberlan, for me this is simply a hobby. However, it is one I hope to take seriously. I picked up a guitar about 3 years ago and started taking lessons. This interest in recording is an extension of that. We will see how it goes, that is me bing 41 and wanting to try making some hip hop music. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I have only been on this site for about a week. I found how to search for chord progressions but I could not find where the "posts by" field is at. Can you help me find this?

Not really following you, so much as I am awake and therefore reading and answering.

I'd make the same comments to anyone whether they're 15 or 50 or 95: you want o understand, you need to learn

substitute "posts by" with "username" in the advanced search single content type

6545 or 6456 in a minor key, modulate with the relative major (look at your III and that is your new tonic) (or even paralel major..)and use other chords from your key as your ears please. Don't get stuck in a progression. djcbwjw.png

Music theory can be a bit confusing but I learned a lot using youtube, google, apps on my phone and tearing my hair out...and it was well worth it and not as crazy hard/daunting as people make it out to be. Not knowing theory will bring you to mental blocks and you'll think you got no creativity cus you ain't getting the sounds you want out. Musical theory gives you wings. An alternative is just to play a billion songs and develop an ear for things (but the guy with music theory background can do that too.

Last edited:
Back