Chords???

ANdre518

Im just strating to learn the keyboard i got the understanding of chords and notes some scales but what is ment by chord progressions can some clear this up for me?

a chord progression is simply a series of chords played in order

In practical theory, music follows certain chord progressions. A progression is the movement of music from one chord to another.

Each scale is made up of different notes in a scale. The Chord that is based around the 1st, 3rd, and 5th note of a scale is called a I(1) chord, a chord based on the 4th, 6th, and 1st note is called a IV(4) chord. Most basic pop music will follow a I, IV, V, I progression. There are certain rules to chord progression. Check out some theory books to help you out.

also, you can check out your basic chords. First, you have your I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, and vii chords. Captial letters always indicate a major chord and lowercase is always minor. Each of those chords are very easily derived and all use notes in the key you are in. To play the I chord you just play 1, 3, and 5. To play the ii chord you play 2, 4, an 6. iii is 3, 5, and 7. So on and so forth for the other chords. The natural minor chords is the ii, iii, and vi chords and your natural dimminished chord is the vii chord. Natural majors are I, IV, and V chords.

Now, there are more to chords than just I through vii. You can also play special chords. Some your might want to toy around with are:

augmented chord: two stacked major thirds. (1, 3, sharp 5(C, E, G#))
dimminished chord: two stacked minor thirds (1, flat 3, flat 5(C, Eb, Gb))
M7 chord: Major chord with a major third stacked on top (1, 3, 5, 7(C, E, G, B))
Dominant 7 chord: Major chord with a minor third stacked on top (1, 3, 5, flat 7(C, E, G, Bb))

There are an infinant ammount of possibilities for chords. The true definition of a chord is 3 or more different notes played at the same time.

As for very basic chord progressions, the I, IV, V came up. You could also try playing just four consecutive major chords such as C, F, Ab, G.

Hope this helped.

can someone please add me to their MSN (abs_oneil@hotmail.com) AIM (MuddyMilenko) or YIM (Brok_Homz) and kind of tutor me in this, cuz im also just starting out and i desire to know more thanks.

"also, you can check out your basic chords. First, you have your I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, and vii chords. Captial letters always indicate a major chord and lowercase is always minor. Each of those chords are very easily derived and all use notes in the key you are in. To play the I chord you just play 1, 3, and 5. To play the ii chord you play 2, 4, an 6. iii is 3, 5, and 7. So on and so forth for the other chords. The natural minor chords is the ii, iii, and vi chords and your natural dimminished chord is the vii chord. Natural majors are I, IV, and V chords."

one thing i've always been confused with when people describe this is it seems like the example they give is for the Cmaj scale... but is the I, ii, iii, IV, etc. true for other scales and keys? for instance would the IV chord in an E min scale be guranteed to be a major chord or does it change(possibly to a minor)? i don't know if this made sense.

Back