Chord types

Edvab

Independent Producer
Hey,

I was reading some other forum for chillstep and some dude said something about the use of chords. He mentioned diatonic and 'other' chords.
Can someone explain what does he mean? And tell what other chord types exist and when/how to use them?

Also, what chord do I use in this song?
untitled.JPG

he probably meant chords in a diatonic scale.

Also what do you mean by "which chord do I use in this song" I see 4 chords there already as a finished loop(assuming it sounds right)..maybe I just misunderstood

Chords*. Sorry, I had the word written with mistakes.

I meant what chords do I use in this progression. As I said I heard of diatonic triad chords. And after searching for 'other' chord types I found another - Neapolitan. Still, even when I know two types of chords now, I still don't know how to identify them and if that makes difference because I want to learn much of music theory to make my compositions more unique. Decide what works for me and what I want to use, not what everyone uses.
The link for the Neapolitan chords is Lesson. Sorry for compusing reply but what other types are there in the music theory and how to identify them all, when to use them?

Big thanks to everyone who understands what I want! :)

Diatonic means two tonics or root notes. It refers directly to the duality of the Major scale and its relative minor scale

when talking about chords, Diatonic means found within the scale and includes I-I(#5)-ii-iii-III-IV-V-#viib5-vi-viib5

in the C major/A minor diatonic scale these would be

C-C(#5)-Dm-Em-E-F-G-G#mb5-Am-Bmb5

the chords from C major are

C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bmb5

the chords from A minor are

Am-Bmb5-C(#5)-Dm-E-F-G#mb5

Other chords
He probably used the phrase Chromatic chords or borrowed chords

These include the chords already found in the diatonic scale as well as borrowings from the parallel minors and majors and other chromatic alterations. The Neapolitan chord is actually a Neapolitan 6th which is chord bII in 1st inversion within the diatonic context , in C major this would be Db major with an F in the bass and it would be used as a substitute for chord IV or chord ii leading to chord V.

There are several other 6th chords available including the German, Italian, French and the so-called Australian 6ths: all four of these are chromatically altered dominant 7th chords but render the 7th as a #6th (hence the name) there are very specific uses and resolution for these European 6ths which fall outside of any useful discussion here

Your chords
I actually get 6 chords:

G#-B-D# ~ C#-D#-G# ~ A-C#-E ~ A-B-E ~ E-G#-B ~ G#-B-D#

G#m - G#Sus4 - A - ESus4 - E - G#m

note that the two sus4 chords are in 1st inversion (the suspended 4th is in the bass)

Back