chord progrssion

A progression of chords is a movement form chord to chord that goes somewhere musically speaking - it arrives at a destination, usually the home chord of the current key.

It is a concept based within the Western Art Music tradition of cadences and the Cycle of 5ths

Do a search here on fp for more details and lots of clear examples

please i want you to help me on pentatonic scale. if i am improvising on the scale CDEGA. what kind of chord am i going to use to accompany it?

You can use
C major
A minor
D minor
E minor
G major

and with a little less success

F major

thanks. i love this sight. but please, what about the blues scale? C D Eflat F Fsharp G Bflat. what chords can i use for it improvisation? is there anything like chord 1 4 5 for it?

blues scale can be used against almost anything

typical progs are (12 bar blues)

C-C-C-C-F-F-C-C-G-F-C-G (I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-V)
C-C-C-C-F-F-C-C-G-G-C-C (I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-V-I-I)

16 bar country blues

C-C-G-G-G-G-C-C-F-F-C-C-D-D-G-G (I-I-V-V-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-II-II-V-V)

and so on

also

Cm-Cm-Cm-Cm-Fm-Fm-Cm-Cm-Gm-Fm-Cm-Gm (i-i-i-i-iv-iv-i-i-v-iv-i-v)

(i.e. substitute the minor for the major in each of the 12 bar blues above)

the following would be an exception to the guideline just given

Cm-Cm-G-G-G-G-Cm-Cm-Fm-Fm-Cm-Cm-D-D-G-G (i-i-V-V-V-V-i-i-iv-iv-i-i-II-II-V-V)

as the function of the chords is very different to that of the 12 bar blues

Last edited:
woooow!!! i love this site thanks so much if am having any problem with this i will let you know. THANKS

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

i have just tried what you tought me, but when i was using the major chords like C F G fully without subtitution for the scale, it does not really sound well. but any time am subtituting the major chords for the minor it sounds well than using the major C F G through out. is it best in best used subtitution or what?

it's about how you use the blue notes against the major chords

In the blues scales we have the following notes

1-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-[sup]#[/sup]4-5-[sup]b[/sup]7-8 ~ C-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]-C

[sup]b[/sup]3-[sup]#[/sup]4-[sup]b[/sup]7

are referred to as blue notes because they are not found in the major scale and therefore not found in the chords built from the major scale.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 ~ C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

C major ~ C-E-G ~ 1-3-5
F major ~ F-A-C ~ 4-6-1
G major ~ G-B-D ~ 5-7-2

When using the blue notes against a chord you are looking to do one of several things:

highlight the "wrongness" of the note
use it as a quick prelude to another note
repeat it and another note that together sound ok

Against the minor the blues scale tends to work without adjusting what you play, as most of the blue notes form part of the natural minor scale

1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8

C minor ~ 1-[sup]b[/sup]3-5
F minor ~ 4-[sup]b[/sup]6-1
G minor ~ 5-[sup]b[/sup]7-2

the F[sup]#[/sup] does not appear in the scale but if treated as a note moving between 4 and 5 or 5 and 4, is ignored in terms of the dissonance it introduces

Back