Chord Progression song

BeenJammin

Hey whats up FP im in the process of learning a song Before im Done by toro y moi and got a quick question on the chord progression he uses. Basically i just want to know what key it is in cuz i think i know but it's funky.

so it goes like this.

Fm# Abm C#m Bm x2
Am7 F#m7 Bdom9 Em

and continues like that till it does a little break down with the e chord later. Basically i think it is in the key of A. but the way it uses the root the ii and the vii chord confuses me any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey whats up FP im in the process of learning a song Before im Done by toro y moi and got a quick question on the chord progression he uses. Basically i just want to know what key it is in cuz i think i know but it's funky.

so it goes like this.

Fm# Abm C#m Bm x2
Am7 F#m7 Bdom9 Em

and continues like that till it does a little break down with the e chord later. Basically i think it is in the key of A. but the way it uses the root the ii and the vii chord confuses me any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

a correction first and then an answer

because of all the other information around it, the 2nd chord is G#m not Abm

F[sup]#[/sup]m G[sup]#[/sup]m C[sup]#[/sup]m Bm
F[sup]#[/sup]m G[sup]#[/sup]m C[sup]#[/sup]m Bm
Am[sup]7[/sup] F[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] B[sup]9[/sup] Em.

the first two lines are in E major- the Bm is a parallel borrowing from the natural minor
the 3rd line is in Em, with parallel borrowings from the natural minor of the Am[sup]7[/sup] chord. This last line could be read as being in E major with two borrowed chords from the parallel minor.

Roman numeral rendering would be

E: ii iii vi v ii iii vi v iv[sup]7[/sup] ii[sup]7[/sup] V[sup]9[/sup] i

Well for improvising you can treat it like that, no? Switching to the Dorian or Aeolian of A for the Bm (depending how you wanna see it). Personally think it sounds nicer with a G#m7 and Bdim7 at the end, but then I'm just a dimished chord "woman of disrupute"...

Back