"Chopped & Screwed"

Never heard of this whole "Chopped & Screwed" thing till I read the latest Scratch magazine, so I just downloaded a few "Chopped & Screwed" tracks......WOW!......they actually pitched a record down and chopped it up. I must say the results are spellbinding.

Two words people "Ground Breaking".

OH SNAP ! I just got this REALLY amazing idea to pitch records up 10 notes and reverse all the snares, I call it "butchered & chipmonked"............but only I can do it ! so **** you !

Dj Alvin the Butcher out !!!

damn how old are you i knew about this **** when i was in Middle school years and years ago

lol i think we all saw the humor but it HAS been out for a while. I HOPE we all get the humor....

"Dj clue and dj screw were just alike, they both got paid to ruin songs"

Peaaceee

Mayn, I'm from Screwston, Texas and I grew up jammin screw. Yall just don't understand the concept so you start hatin. Screw is an artform, you can just slow down a record and think your'e big sh*t. It was the was the way that screw chopped the beats and vocals that made him really stand out as a DJ. Plus you can't really get full effect unless your'e leanin', which is what DJ Screw was known for. So sip a deuce, and try understand something you know nothing about. RIP Screw, we really miss you, and thats all I gotta say.

This screw sh*t is like a lifestyle in Texas. Its about more than just slowin down a record- its what Texas is all about. Its about gettin down to the true essence of song and feelin it!

You don't have to like it but you gotta respect it.

DJ Screw was a legend and an innovator and you gotta respect that. Screw changed the music scene in Texas in a major way and now other DJs like Micheal "5000" Watts and the OG Ron C are keepin that flame goin.

Queen of Hearts said:
This screw sh*t is like a lifestyle in Texas. Its about more than just slowin down a record- its what Texas is all about. Its about gettin down to the true essence of song and feelin it!

You don't have to like it but you gotta respect it.

DJ Screw was a legend and an innovator and you gotta respect that. Screw changed the music scene in Texas in a major way and now other DJs like Micheal "5000" Watts and the OG Ron C are keepin that flame goin.

I can respect someone that can make a living off of something this ridiculous...sorry but i can't call slowing a record down an art-form, if i slowed down "The Godfather" and repeated some scenes, would that make me a great film-maker?

Don't you just hate the haters. Screw didn't make his music so it can impress you. People heard his ART and that's how he got famous. He never intended to become famous or to change sh*t. His peers and then his Houston people made him famous and it spread like a flame. You need a crowd to make you famous. If you don't like his music shut the f*ck up and let us who were there with him enjoy his style. It wasn't made to impress you New York funny talking idiots. I suppose Mase and Puff daddy did a better job by copying every song that was already famous and just rapping on the instrumentals. Give me a break. You fools outside Texas stay out and leave us screwed up. No one is trying to impress you. We like our sh*t and that's us. If people Like 36 Mafia decide to screw their sh*t up then that means the flames have spread to them and I respect that. Big shot out to Memphis and the other Dirty South who we Texans respect. I'm out.

Stubs on Dubs said:
Mayn, I'm from Screwston, Texas and I grew up jammin screw. Yall just don't understand the concept so you start hatin. Screw is an artform, you can just slow down a record and think your'e big sh*t. It was the was the way that screw chopped the beats and vocals that made him really stand out as a DJ. Plus you can't really get full effect unless your'e leanin', which is what DJ Screw was known for. So sip a deuce, and try understand something you know nothing about. RIP Screw, we really miss you, and thats all I gotta say.

ALREADY BABY!!

lol@ "2 words people break-through"

Download some UGK screwed and you will know what that Texas is all about.

wanna trip out again?
Download some screwed and chopped freestyles by Chamillion or Paul Wall and then tell me "South cant rap"

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not a artform, its just like ur listening to a turntable with a messed up motor that keeps skipping.

Not hatin but . . . it's not an art form any idiot with a turntable or hell slow the pitch down in a wav editing program and you got screwed and chopped.

But your from texas so your going to be mad cocky and "so proud" that it originated from their so I can't argue with you.

I think chopped & screwed was just someone with a turntable who got really bored one night and was f***in 'round and relized that hey heres something new yet old. Chopped and Screwed was just an attempt at starting a new era of music.

Chopped and Screwed was just an attempt at starting a new era of music.

Screw music did start a new era in music. Y'all are talkin like screw music is sumthing new. Just cuz y'all are just now hearing about it and its new to you doesn't mean that it ain't been around. Matter of fact...its been around since the early 1990's...actually '89. I grew up with it so its second nature to me...i don't even remember how old i was the first time i heard it, but till this day i'd rather hear somethin screwed...matter of fact that's the only way you'll get me to listen to alot of them fake studio gangstas from the east coast...

Anyway...i ain't tryin to turn this into a flame war but I gotta cosign to everything that Skazm said.

Let me just say one more time that screw musci is about more than just slowin the tempo down. Anybody from Texas could tell the difference between any 'ol Joe Blow that decided to make his own screw sh*t and somebody that really understands that this is an art form.

And hell yeah i'm proud that screw music started in Texas...its only natural. You would be too if something of this revolutionary came from your neck of the woods.

H&R said:
Not hatin but . . . it's not an art form any idiot with a turntable or hell slow the pitch down in a wav editing program and you got screwed and chopped.

But your from texas so your going to be mad cocky and "so proud" that it originated from their so I can't argue with you.

Any idiot? Get a clue. You are hating. Don't you feel that hate in you? RED never used a wav editing program. He used turntables. He took music he liked and made it sound differant. That's what we liked. When you were high or on codine that's how you heard the music. But when you where high and listening to screw you saw visions and sh*t. It was awesome. You kiddies need to get a clue. Stop running your mouth on something you know nothing about. If you can't understand us then shut up. RED was a real DJ who knew how to use the turntables but the thing that made him stand out was how slow he made it. People liked it. He wasn't selling his sh*t, people wanted to buy it. That's how he became an icon. Does anyone know how to chop up a track with a fader here? You don't use a damn wav editor you fool. Learn something.

Skazm . . . "When you were high or on codine that's how you heard the music" and "But when you where high and listening to screw you saw visions and sh*t" lol.

"He took music he liked and made it sound differant" no he just slowed it down. Your acting like he was the first person in the whole world to ever do that, maybe in texas lol.

I'm not gonna argue with someone like you cause it's pointless . . . and I wasn't hating he made his money off it so I can't hate.

You "Get A Clue" everyone doesn't have to like what you like or think it's the greatest thing ever . . . dont like that then don't post.

Last edited:
its even easier to chop on tables, set one of the copies of the record off a bout a second or less, then flip the fader back n forth at some parts. Seriouslly, get up off that codiene...

Didnt dj screw die from that syrup ****?

Skazm said:

Does anyone know how to chop up a track with a fader here? You don't use a damn wav editor you fool. Learn something.

Yes. You just play two records at the same time with one 1/4 or 1/8 beat late and hit the crossfader back and forth, it's one of the most basic djing techniques. A step up from that would be actually scratching or beat-juggling.

H&R said:
Skazm . . . "When you were high or on codine that's how you heard the music" and "But when you where high and listening to screw you saw visions and sh*t" lol.

"He took music he liked and made it sound differant" no he just slowed it down. Your acting like he was the first person in the whole world to ever do that, maybe in texas lol.

I'm not gonna argue with someone like you cause it's pointless . . . and I wasn't hating he made his money off it so I can't hate.

You "Get A Clue" everyone doesn't have to like what you like or think it's the greatest thing ever . . . dont like that then don't post.

Goes to show how haters talk. Just like you *****. Go play in your bathtub lame @ss f*ck. I never told anyone they had to like it. F*ck you. You run your mouth on a computer but try it here Son of a whore. Get a clue.

Back