Chaining synthmaster instances.

scrapheaper

Sorry, post in wrong section... can someone please move it to the vst board?

Synthmaster is my only synth, and I actually like it a lot, despite the fact that it's not famous and some have said it's not easy to use.

Over the past year, I've got to know more and more of it's features, but there's still one thing which bugs me because I don't know how to do it.

Supposedly, when using it as an FM synth, you can chain multiple instances of synthmaster together and then use one patch as modulator for another patch, I think FM8 can do this too.

When doing this, I have extreme difficulty getting the right notes to play. I set up two tracks, make my modulator patch, then send the audio to the other track.

If I use the instrument version of the plug, then I can feed it MIDI fine and get notes I want, but when I select modulate by audio input, no modulation happens, no matter which inputs I send the modulator to.

If I use the effect version of the plug, I can use the audio to trigger a single note, which means I can play one note and only one note (just about usable for dubstep or dnb, but very limiting) and this can be modulated by audio input, but I can't feed it MIDI or change the note of the carrier easily.

Any ideas? Perhaps FM8 users might have some insights?

Last edited:
Back