can't finish anything i start

i find that at the beginnning i might get caught up just makin the loops, the parts of the track, tweaking particular sounds and sh1t, and wont be thinkin about the arrangements, and when i do, ive lost focus on the song as a whole. usually when i go back to it, and all the parts are gettin finished, i find it easier to just focus on the arrangements. until i go... "that snare doesnt sound right...." and there goes two hours listening to a loop....haha.

peace.

THis is similar to what highkoo said. Maybe an idea would be to try and work faster. Computer music magazine recommends that you don't get hung up on polishing little things and if you get something that you like, don't listen to it more than 3 times before moving on. Otherwise you will get sick of it and want to move on and it will be just a drag.

The idea is to stay inpired and excited about what you're doing.

Then go back later to tweak and polish.

good points all,.what i have been doin,first off i keep a tape recorder with me,when inspiration hits,.and alot of times i.ve seen it comes in those moments when u real comfy and dont want to get up and record,i have about 20, 90 minute tapes with songs as they come ,some with choruses first,.intro, the beat ,the bass line,etc.allways different,bits here and there ,i would go in front of my setup,and play a beat, and a rhodes sample,(mostly)whatever inspires me,then i record it off the air into the tape rec..and archive each tape,for later,the ones that stick out,i go for first,.but its mosly for later,and i do move on to thenext moment,always catching the new songs,hooks,etc .out of the air.peace

i know how you feel, i just started an r&b track that sounded like it should be on the radio, i had to leave for work and came back, didn't know WHAT to do with the track. u aren't the only 1 that has that problem man and i definitely feel yall pain. i agree the more u listen to the track the more comfy u get about it and never finish it

bosko said:

So you are doing experimental music?If thats the case then just let yourself go,but sometimes it hepls you to follow classic "formulas".I would say take your track,identify the parts as chorus,intro or whatevers the structure you are building your song upon and try that way...

^^^ Truth be Told^^^^ you gotta have a lil secreat formula that lets you know when the beat starts and finishes.. sounds to me that you are trying to do a lil too much than whats needed.. You should always keep it simple..

i had the same "problem".
but maybe it is a gift!
i was thinking about stoping to make new stuff nad to finish the older stuff for half a year. but in that time many new melodies came to my mind which can be expanded to full standalone tracs.
if ive had the discipline to stop making new suff all these hits would have naver been made.

ive got around 1000 songs 600 could
be real tracks. 300-400 hitz.
i digged out the hitz and i work on them now.
only 10-35 minutes on each.
the to the next.
but i still start new projects.
sometimes it even is disturbing.
im lying in me bed and a melody is coming to my mind. i think "damsn i
wanns to sleep now" but i go to my pc and play the melodi.
sometimes 1-2 hours.
someone has to do it.

I had and still sometimes have that problem.

My solution was to make a beat a day on the MPC(drums only) and then the next week start back with my first beat and add my melodies. Its almost like getting a fresh start and also it helps you to want to do it b/c you're going to be like I gotta hear that beat I did Monday I forgot how it sounds. You get so into it that you end up changing/adding things and before you know it you're complete with it. That works for me.

hey who ever said "you either got it or you don't". doesnt that sound a bit harsh? if you got it thats great! if you don't, try to get it! it's not that you got it or you don't unless you want it to be.

Back