Can't figure out the technique to get this flume sound effect....

CowboyClyde

Hey all,

I've been trying to figure out how Flume and many other future bass artists are able to get this clean, "cutting" effect with their synths...

Example:

It happens right at 1:43/1:44

If anyone could tell me what automation/technique he is using to get the super fast, clean, cutting effect, that would be AMAZING!!

Thank you!

Last edited:
It's 2 synthlayers:
- Layer 1: A regular, less brighter and softer supersaw sound, with medium detune, and much more noise than you normally would. One saw oscillator, + another saw oscillator blended in an octave below.
- Layer 2: Pretty much the same oscillator combination, but add a square oscillator and octave above the main saw oscillator.

Then you use a lowpassfilter in both synthlayers, with some slight resonance added, and you automate the cutoffs to make those sweeps.
Then you let layer 2 open up a little brighter than the supersaw layer.

It's 2 synthlayers:
- Layer 1: A regular, less brighter and softer supersaw sound, with medium detune, and much more noise than you normally would. One saw oscillator, + another saw oscillator blended in an octave below.
- Layer 2: Pretty much the same oscillator combination, but add a square oscillator and octave above the main saw oscillator.

Then you use a lowpassfilter in both synthlayers, with some slight resonance added, and you automate the cutoffs to make those sweeps.
Then you let layer 2 open up a little brighter than the supersaw layer.

Hey,

I attempted to follow your instructions. I would be a nightmare to try and type everything so i recorded a video.
sorry for the shitty audio quality, I can't figure out how to record from "within" my computer. The computer mic is picking up the sound coming out of my studio monitors, which is why its shit. Forgive me.

Here's the video:

Let me know if you need more clarification as to what I am saying but basically, I am having trouble automating the cut off to sound clean.....
Also, please excuse me if the synth doesn't sound like the flume synth. still working on getting my sound design chops up to speed.

side note (to stefehh): you've always been extremely helpful to me, which I am (and prolly many others on this forum) very grateful for. Do you have any soundcloud or social media pages I can follow? I know its not much but i'm always down support and try and help out people that go out of their way to help others (like myself). I really appreciate it!

I only focused on that first wobbly sound, the other less wobbly and more steady sound is another version of the first sound.

Anyway, as for the wobbly synth, remove all of the releasetime. Start with no ADSR shape at all, just a flat line. Then you could experiment, maybe a slight attacktime could do.
Then play it in a minor triad chord or similar, rather than only a single note.
Then do much more aggressive filtering automation, I would rather say that you should overdo it, then back it off. Meaning let the filter go further down in the automation, and narrow down the sweep-ups and try making them less bright as well.
Go a little easier on the brighter saw oscillator and give the square more presence.

For the less wobbly sound, just duplicate the first sound, cut down the resonance and leave the filter, then add some light tremolo and automate the depth of it. Give it some attacktime on the volume ADSR.

PS. "waah waah waaaaah" ;)

Back