Can you make good music when you're stressed out?

For me, making beats when I'm dealing with a lot of stress can be extremely frustrating. As much as I would like to use it as "therapy" I usually end up more stressed than I was to begin with because sounds aren't coming to me the way I want.

The question of this thread applies anyone who creates music (rapper, songwriter, producer, pianist etc.). How does stress effect your workflow?

When you become better at playing and it becomes easy to you to get ideas into the computer, it will be a real relief to you.

When I started I was in the same position as you, it frustrated me even more since I never couldn't get my ideas across, but now it's the other way around.

When I started I thought it would be not normal if I *ever* can improvise for 20-30 minutes on the piano, and now I can go past an hour until I get tired.

Pretty often when I'm stressed out I'm even more aggressive with my music than on the chill days, and I make several of my hottest music in those moments.

If I would not be able to use my tools and have the skills then it would be hard to just get all the energy out and that's what makes a person frustrated. But once I have the skills I can control and channel my energy and bring it all into my music.

I can't...whether it be rapping or making beats...I just can't, my mind is too distracted and it usually takes even more for me to be able to sit down and focus on something

Have a look at the story being The Chic's tune , Freak Out .
They got refused entry to the coolest club in USA when they were ripping up the billboards .
To say they were p!ssed is an understatement when they could hear their songs being played inside the club .
They went back to their jam space and made a song that went :
"AAWWWWWWW F*CK OFF"
That lyric was reworked to :
"AWWWWWWWW Freak Out"
The rest is history as they say .

Impossible for me to make good beats when I'm stressed. It's like a blockade in my mind which stops my creativity. I make my best beats spontanious and when I'm pretty relaxed and got enough time to think about the different elements and not about my stressful day.

Last edited by a moderator:
aww, come here!

hug-1.jpg

Thanks man, thanks ... **wipes tear**.. means a lot.

i can make good stuff in any mood im in.. :) dats a good gift god gave me :D specially wenn im stressed out lol THATS WENN I SNAP! :)

It depends.
If i'm frustrated b/c I can't make something good... I can't make music.
But if i'm frustrated about something else in my life... it's really great stress relief... u can just unleash all of your anger in the music.

I don't know what stress is. If you are stressed, there is probably something you should be doing, other than music at that time.

When I'm stressed and writing music I find it easier to forget everything that I -want- to do musically at the time, and just go with what -flows- with me. I open up my daw or pick up my guitar and just flow with whatever comes to my head first, regardless of how much it sucks (or doesn't suck). When you're not stressed you can go back to getting the sound you want, as you'll be more focused.

it's probably different for everyone. I personally have to be in the right state of mind to make music. choosing the right sounds could be tedious work sometimes and requires patience, and stress doesn't help me with that at all.

I can, personally I think my music sounds better when im stressed(which is most of the time actually) cause I try to really focus on what im doing to get my mind off things, and I really get into it.

lol depends if the stress is current or past issues Im stressing about... lol if my girl is in my ear nagging then no I get nothing done lol... but pretty much any other stress that I can push to the side for the moment it helps me alot.

It's a bit of both for me. I guess it depends on what's stressing me. If it's leaning toward anger, I'm probably not making music. If it's just the everyday hustle and bustle, making music actually helps.

Back