can you make a beat with 2 chords

i believe ive made a beat with 1 chord...lol. and it didnt sound boring or plain!!....lmao

:confused:

Hope I'm not takeing this too far, but you could make a beat without any chords.

Isn't there some radio songs that have no chords at all?? Like Youngunz "Cant Stop"?? Does Ying Yang Twins "The Whisper Song" count?

just because there is no a harmonic layering of notes doesnt mean that a chord progression isn't implied.

in the whisper song, the toms imply the ttwo-chord progression. the vocals also have have harmonic properties as well

-lodger

Lodger said:
just because there is no a harmonic layering of notes doesnt mean that a chord progression isn't implied.

in the whisper song, the toms imply the ttwo-chord progression. the vocals also have have harmonic properties as well

-lodger

very true, but then again some of the more simple note arrrangements (which are at the heart of modern radio, for better or worse) could imply many different possible chord progressions. if i'm just going back and forth between c and d, theres tons of chord progressions that could fit that.

(Sorry I dont know how to qoute, I dont use the internet much)

But anyway I totally Agree here. Thats why I asked: "Does the whisper song by Ying Yang Twins count?"
I beleive that many harmony loyalist wouldn't count the drums as "Notes". But I'd have to go with both sides of the fence here.

Caliko said:

(Sorry I dont know how to qoute, I dont use the internet much)

But anyway I totally Agree here. Thats why I asked: "Does the whisper song by Ying Yang Twins count?"
I beleive that many harmony loyalist wouldn't count the drums as "Notes". But I'd have to go with both sides of the fence here.
C'mon now..do you think Collipark really put that much thought into it? lol

SoulBoy said:
C'mon now..do you think Collipark really put that much thought into it? lol

It doesn't matter how much thought they put into it. The whole thing about chord progressions is about tension and release. That is why there is music theory, it analyzes the way pitch of a sound progress into other pitches.
You don't actually have to know what you are doing while you are doing it, happens all the time.

I agree with Soul I wouldn't give Colipark that much credit.

nwo504 said:
ii thought a chord was when you play notes at the same time?

Thats a very basic explanation, but there are things such as single fingered chord.

Or you can alternate between the notes in a chord playing one note at a time and tahts still a chord.

Maybe someone should quote the definition from a music website

Back