Can using the same scale/chords for new songs be bad?

WRDolphinX

Will Ran
Every time i have new idea for a song in my head and come to play it on the piano, i keep finding myself using A Major. Even though it's my favorite, i get tried of using it since i already have 4 songs in A major. The answer probably might be simple, but how do you guys figure out how to play different chords for a new song you're in the process of making without going to your favorite scale/chords? I'm having a hard time escaping from A Major :/

And Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section

right place.

Irving Berlin, great songwriter of the early 20th century could only play the piano in Gb (so the myth goes); more likely he could only sing in Gb/Ebm.

Point of the above is that you do not need to worry about what key you use rather you should worry about what you write in whatever key you use - i.e. sweat the arrangement and the notes needed for the arrangement rather than the key.

right place.

Irving Berlin, great songwriter of the early 20th century could only play the piano in Gb (so the myth goes); more likely he could only sing in Gb/Ebm.

Point of the above is that you do not need to worry about what key you use rather you should worry about what you write in whatever key you use - i.e. sweat the arrangement and the notes needed for the arrangement rather than the key.

Thank you for the response bandcoach! I honestly never thought about it like that, only about the sound. And what do you mean by "sweat the arrangement"?

Last edited:
arrangement is the structure (sections, etc) and division of notes to different instruments throughout your piece

Oh i get it now lol. I was gonna say "If i sweat on my equipment, then it'll stop working" ._.

Thanks for the advice still!

this is probably already everywhere bandcoach and i just need to search it on site but do you know of any good books or other sites for learning more about arranging in different genres.

thank you jazz arranging is exactly the kinda site i was looking for. and im going to have to check out those people you posted never heard of any of them.

You know the pink panther theme? Henry Mancini

You know the television Batman theme from the 60's? Nelson Riddle (also worked with Sinatra and many others)

Sammy Nestico is a very talented and well-known arranger in Jazz and Big Band circles

Russell Garcia made the altered lydian dominant approach to arranging and reharmonisation popular

Gordon Delamont another talented arranger and ran the West coast equivalent of Berklee

David baker, better known as bass player but also a talented arranger

Last edited:
bandcoach has hit the nail on the head. What you have to realize is everyone uses the same chords, scales, and notes! In western music there are only 12 notes in total, so of course you will repeat yourself! But there is so much more to music than notes: feel, rhythm, velocity, ect.

Also to the non-musician, no one would probably even notice you continually use A major!

Back