Can learning piano make you that much greater

I know there are great producers who have no training and there are alot who do,but can it make that much of a difference in some one with potential.The reason why I'm on this topic is becausei am recording a friend who says I'm a good producer but today we were listening to other local producers and he was feeling them and that made me feel like(then why am I recording you for free).okay I'd admit iwas jealous cause they were good beats and know I'm firered up about being the best I can be and willing to go threw whatever to make me that much better.

Knowledge can only take you farther. I say take on lessons. But thats my opinion .

Music Theory WILL help you. Chords, Scales, and Progressions are kinda of like being able to refer to a whole library of different genres and sounds. West Coast music uses alot of Minor Chords and Scales as well as Blues scales. Will music theory help you play those scales and chords? Yea. Trap music uses alot of Minor Scales (Descending), will music theory help you know where this scale is? Yea. It will give you reference, dont get me wrong, ir wont help you CREATE. The way you use these scales, these chords, this knowledge is a completely different story. Its a tool, a VERY useful tool in my opinion. Music theory was the key to my success. It enables you to be able to do more things and kinda lets you out of the box, or it did for me. Learn it, when it clicks in, youl know it. It makes things alot easier. For composers and people who sample. Finding the key a certain sample or knowing what key your will quicken your pace and make things ALOT easier. I dont know how anyone could ever argue with that. Its not necessarily learning piano as much as it is learning "Music" as a whole. Music Theory.

I asked my friend about music theory and he plays guitar, but he basically told me the same thing. That learning music theory really opens up some much more to you and your music. I'm starting to understand how to read notes, but if you look at a piano roll in any program it is basically the same thing.

To tell you the truth, learning to play piano will help you tremendously..

Learning to read/right music is a big plus as well, but in this 21st century.. There are programs that will print the sheet music out for you, for your song..

It's true alot of producers can't really play an instrument.. Therefore those producers are not actually completing entire ensambles and beats on there own.. Many times they hire session musicians.. But who gets the credit for the track? The producer..

So it's up to you.. I learned the piano and it has changed my music greatly.. I can play a melody out that I hum.. that's simply because I know what key sounds like what and recreate the sound I'm humming..

Learning is a plus, besides a real producer can play atleast at the minimum one istrument..

^^^No, a "real Producer"...Produces records, period.

And what about people who can hum and play a tune without "reading/writing"?

I don't want to argue this point any further, it's just folk are so one sided it amazes me.

It's the equivalent of saying "you can't drive until you take drivers ed". What about folk who drive their whole life, just take the test, and pass it?

No 2 journeys will ever be the same.

I guess next you gotta "win the lotto to be rich"....next, you gotta "pay a prostitute if you want sex"..."use an MPC if you want to make music?" lol. you guys won't get it, I give up.

^^^No, a "real Producer"...Produces records, period.

And what about people who can hum and play a tune without "reading/writing"?

I don't want to argue this point any further, it's just folk are so one sided it amazes me.

It's the equivalent of saying "you can't drive until you take drivers ed". What about folk who drive their whole life, just take the test, and pass it?

No 2 journeys will ever be the same.

I guess next you gotta "win the lotto to be rich"....next, you gotta "pay a prostitute if you want sex"..."use an MPC if you want to make music?" lol. you guys won't get it, I give up.

It's not a arguement, because I'm not arguing.. I'm saying a "real producer" not the ones in the videos.. I can name some producer that get paid and you never heard of them, but they have grammy's..

I was just saying that learning a instrument can help your production.. If you are a producer and you don't know an instrument and you still produce hits then that's good.. It doesn't matter..

I was just saying it helps to know an instrument..

it all comes down to whether you know what youre doing, whatever that may be and however you might know it

You can easily buy piano loops. Check out "Passionate Pianos" by Moshloops.com!!

I know there are great producers who have no training and there are alot who do,but can it make that much of a difference in some one with potential.The reason why I'm on this topic is becausei am recording a friend who says I'm a good producer but today we were listening to other local producers and he was feeling them and that made me feel like(then why am I recording you for free).okay I'd admit iwas jealous cause they were good beats and know I'm firered up about being the best I can be and willing to go threw whatever to make me that much better.

I see a lot of misinformation in the replies, hopefully you'll look into my advice. I was in sorta the same position you are in. I heard all of these great melodies and songs in my head but never had the skill to reproduce them. I was always making beats that were cool, but were generic and elementary simple.

I got a tutor who graduated from a pretty good music school nationally, top 10 in the midwest. He really wasn't that interested in teaching me piano quickly; he valued me as a customer and strung me along as slowly as possible. All along telling me "You need this before you can sight read, you need this, and this, blah blah."

I finally get tired of him and quit. I read around and find out Alfreds Adult Piano 1-3 is highly recommended for adult beginners. For the guy that said don't even bother trying to sight read, it'll take you years, are you on drugs? It took me less than year to play Fur Elise, while working, attending school, and studying for lsats. Granted, I'm not a virtuoso, but I'm quite satisfied with my progress thus far.

Nothing is too hard, apply yourself and practice with discipline you'll get much in no time. I've read beginning books on Music Theory and it isn't complex either. Practice your scales every day, and try to get in at least an hour of practice. Pick up those books and perfect each song before you move on. Don't ever feel overwhelmed, like I said nothing is too hard. Perceive it as an enjoying challenge to overcome and you'll see that skills develop quite quickly.

Good luck.

I never read a book or took a class before I could play fur elise by ear. Fur Elise is not complex at all. See why everyone's "misinformation" is being spewed?

All i'm saying is there's no path set for everyone. All y'all keep doing is coming in talking about your paths.

Notice everyone has a different story?

I'm sure some up here had teachers who weren't moneyhungry leaches and would advise us doing the same. Everyone's advising what worked for them and discarding everything else. All i'm saying is "find what works for you" rather than listening to everyone try to tell you what works.

If I'm the only guy on FP who can play by ear and was just raised in a house full of music, then this forum is sad. In the real world that's majority of the musicians I met, and folk who did "study" don't act like elitists, because they know all their training can be matched by raw talent and vice versa.

It would help a whole lot if you know your way around the keys.If you want to produce you just have to practice practice a lot.

playing piano and making melodies isnt the only element of producing, or even the main aspect of it, its about using everything available to you to make a good song, even if its a set of kitchen knives lol, look at aphex twin, the guy revolutionized music and never learned, formally at least, any music theory in his life and created some ridiculously complex music, some of it created just out of samples of slamming doors and other "non-musical" nonsense

I probably have posted in this thread already but my views are constantly evolving so I'll make another short note.

I think it depends on a few things whether learning piano will help. It depends on what you want to do musically and also on who you are.

My own opinion is that it could either be a good thing or a bad thing if you are trying to improve your composing. (I'm just going to talk about composing here.) Knowing more things may help you to try more things and help you make better music. But inspiration is important in making good music too, and keeping things fresh and new might be the better course.

Learning the basics is usually good though. Being able to play a chord and a bass note and get to that standard can't be bad. Knowing what the chord or note you are playing isn't though. It's much more fun and, to some, more inspirational when you don't.

My advice would be to learn the basics, learn to play a few songs that you like, but it depends on the person whether any deep study would be benefitial.

EP

Back